1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
No Longer Naive in the Ways of The Beast
After having lived for years with ME/CFS, Jody Smith learned there's more to this beast of an illness than she realized, and that what might help one person may not help others ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Niacin - Why am I not flushing??

Discussion in 'Mast Cell Disorders/Mastocytosis' started by Ema, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I decided to experiment today with niacin.

I had read that one should start with 50 mg and then wait to see if flushing occurred. If so, it indicates high histamine. If it takes 100 mg to flush, then that indicates normal histamine levels. 150-250 mg indicates low histamine levels.

So I took 50 mg...nothing. And then another 50 mg. Still no flush!

I'm so confused because I always thought I had high histamine based on my reactivity and whole blood histamine levels.

Then I read that some of the orthomolecular doctors like Abraham Hoffer say that you won't flush if you have a niacin deficiency.

They suggest taking 1000-3000 mg of niacin 1-3x/day which is obviously a much higher dose than the 100 mg I took.

Any ideas about this? I had really hoped that niacin would help my migraine headaches.

http://www.nutritionj.com/content/4/1/3

I'm also curious about the relationship of nicotine to niacin...is there one? Does nicotine metabolize into niacin?

Thanks for any insights into this!

Ema
  2. Sparrow

Sparrow Senior Member

Canada
    Just to confirm, are you taking plain old niacin (not niacinamide, nicotinamide, nicotinic acid amide, inositol hexaniacinate or what have you)?
    Sparrowhawk likes this.
  3. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Yes, it even says on the bottle that it can cause a "totally normal" flushing reaction!
  4. camas

camas Senior Member

Oregon
    Ema

I hope someone can solve this mystery for you. I hadn't heard of niacin reducing histamine levels. I may have to give this a try. Thanks! :)

See more popular forum discussions.