• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Niacin and the Freddd Protocol

For high cholesterol my doctor has recommended 500mg of slow release niacin twice a day. For high homocysteine and a low SAM/SAH ratio, methylfolate, methylcobalamin and other methyl-donor supplements have been recommended, so I am considering the Freddd protocol. Is my doctor's niacin recommendation incompatible with the Freddd protocol?

ahmo

In my former life, I was taking that sort of B3 dose. Fred found, and my experience has been the same, that high levels of the other B vitamins push up the need for potassium, a lot. You can read about it in the 2nd Freddd Protocol link in my signature, a compilation of Fred's comments. I'm now using a B complex with 50mg B3/day. But I've been coming across many comments about people using higher doses of niacin. Unfortunately, I can't recall in the moment why they're using them. o_O

Thanks for the reply, ahmo. I know that to resolve overmethylation, niacin is recommended "neutralize" (can't think of a better word) methyl groups. I was wondering if my niacin regimen would impact the effectiveness of the Freddd protocol. Still looking for the answer to this. Thanks.

PeterPositive

Thanks for the reply, ahmo. I know that to resolve overmethylation, niacin is recommended "neutralize" (can't think of a better word) methyl groups. I was wondering if my niacin regimen would impact the effectiveness of the Freddd protocol. Still looking for the answer to this. Thanks.
In essence yes.
If your methylation is running low, e.g. low SAMe and high SAH, adding hundreds of milligrams of B3 will require even more methyl groups to transform niacin into methyl-nicotinamide, if I remember correctly.

Dr. Ben Lynch talks about this in a podcast:
http://www.seekinghealth.com/media/podcast5-niacin.mp3