• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NHS GP treating patients with B12 Injections.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
After noticing some pretty good improvements after 3 months on daily methyl B12 sub cut injections i decided to look into B12 deficiency and Pernicious Anemia more closely. On my journeys around Google i stumbled on the work of Dr Chandy, an NHS GP who believs that Vit B12 deficiency is very common and treats 700 of his patients with it, with remarkable results. He has been threatened at one point with being struck off, but has since been allowed to continue his work, on the NHS.
Dr Chandy believes that some cases of M.E and M.S could be end stage diseases of B12 deficiency, he also discusses functional B12 deficiency.
The website that has been set up by his supporters is very good, with lots of info if you trawl through it. This is an old interview from the website, filmed by the BBC

http://b12d.net/content/bbc-documentary-and-testimonials

All the best, Justy.

In my country, in the old days, when GPs were actual physicians and were allowed to practice common sense medicine, rely on their clinical experience etc.
they would ordinarily prescribe to both physically and emotionally run down patients injections of B12 and other B vitamins. I remember as a child a lot of people from different doctors coming to see mum with their prescriptions as she would do the injections. I remember having quite a few of those myself for all sorts of problems like sciatica, rapid growth, exams/study-related tiredness.
After falling ill, I had a few conversations with much older relatives and family friends who would recall a period of their life when they went through something similar to CFS, which did not exist as a diagnosis at the time, so doctors would never give up on them, trying instead whatever they could to fix them and get them back to a normal life. Invariably this included vitamins injections and B12 most likely. They were obviously successful with this approach.
Then came "progress"...

richvank

I continue to be chagrined at how physicians who help their patients are persecuted so strongly. This happens in the U.S. as well as in the UK. What would happen if the whole medical system became results-oriented?

Another thought--for those who have ME/CFS, if they would add some chemically reduced folate to the B12, they would see more amazing things happening. But that would no doubt produce another witch hunt. Sad.

Best regards,

Rich

snowathlete

Interesting post, thanks.

In the UK, the whole reason the NHS is directed by the NICE guidelines, is that the gov't cant be taken to court effectively for not treating patients appropriately. Their defence is that they follow profesional advice, and its very difficult to win a case against that. Of course, the system means that there is no flexibility in it, and indeed the government do not like GPs doing anything outside of the NICE guidelines. Thats why if you are a doctor who wants to do the best for patients, you need to be very brave, and principled. Sadly, i havent met a doctor like this in the NHS yet. Not that i blame them really, their hands are tied.

Its great if you have a recognised condition with a proven treatment, but if you have an illness like ME your screwed.