1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Pathway to Prevention (P2P) for ME/CFS: A Dangerous Process
Gabby Klein gives an overview of the P2P process, shedding light on the pitfalls with advice as to what we can do in protest ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

NHS CFS/ME Occupational Guidance for Healthcare Professionals

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by Marco, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Marco

Marco Old blackguard

Near Cognac, France
    There is little to commend this NHS document, but are the following excerpts fully consistent with the current NHS blanket policy of CBT/GET or the information provided to patients.

http://www.nhsplus.nhs.uk/providers/images/library/files/guidelines/CFS_HC_professionals-leaflet.pdf

On CBT

It should also be noted that the research studies on CBT excluded those patients who were too ill to attend or to continue attending CBT sessions.

CBT does not work well where the patient still shows signs of a current infection

On GET

Although some RCTs show evidence of improved functional capacity for work and reduced fatigue, some patients experience a significant deterioration in symptoms with this intervention.

The following factors have been identified as predictors of poorer work outcomes in individuals with CFS/ME ............

higher number of physical signs such as lymphadenopathy

"Patients recovering (sic) from a viral illness (sic) should be advised to avoid both prolonged resting and over-exertion once the acute illness has passed. Inappropriate advice given to patients in the early stages of fatigue may adversely affect their long-term outcome

See more popular forum discussions.