1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Join the National PR Campaign for ME: Power to the Patient (P2tP)
Have you had enough of all the neglect and abuse of ME/CFS patients? Gabby Klein says now is the time for a National PR Campaign for ME/CFS to impress a change. Join the Patient Revolution to restore power to ME patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Next steps after receiving MTHFR information

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by Sparrowhawk, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Senior Member

West Coast USA
    Excellent! I will look forward to seeing that and appreciate all the great information above. I have learned a ton in just two days, not trying to rush this but I can see how some of you who have done this more than a year really have a grip on the many variables, esp. wrt your own SNPs.

2. Critterina

Critterina Senior Member

Arizona, USA
    BH4 is tetrahydrobiopterin. It has a lot of functions, like converting tryptophan to 5-HTP on it's way to becoming serotonin and converting phenylalanine to tyrosine to dopamine. It's also used to turn arginine into NO, which takes two molecules of BH4. If BH4 is in short supply, arginine instead produces peroxynitrite or super oxide, both of which lead to oxidative inflammatory disease, according to Heartfixer.

3. Critterina

Critterina Senior Member

Arizona, USA
    Thanks, Caledonia.
    I was just reading about that test. The small molecules are supposed to get through. If the large molecules make it to your urine, they went through the leaky gut wall (instead of ending up in feces where they belong). They look at the ratios to determine degree of leakiness.

4. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    Thanks, had it backwards. That's what I get for doing things from memory instead of looking them up. :oops:

Critterina likes this.
  5. Critterina

Critterina Senior Member

Arizona, USA
    I've done that more than once on this site! :oops: I had just read it last night, and had had to reread it a bit to get it to stick.

6. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    I havent had the 23andME test done yet but got my MTHFR polymorphism picked up on a different genotype test which only looked for a few gene things which caused abnormal clotting, I hope to have the 23andME test done soon so I guess I will be then like you and trying to figure out all the rest of the things which come up. Its good to see others trying to help you to understand your results as I will be needing advice soon.

Here's the diagram of how MTHFR affects and where these things feed into the cycle.

[​IMG]

7. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Senior Member

West Coast USA
    What a great diagram.

So if I am using up all my SAMe making adrenaline and cortisol, perhaps that's why I have no ATP...

I did realize yesterday that I should probably have posted this to the Genetic Testing and SNP's forum instead. It seems that's where most of these types of threads are housed.

8. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

B.C., Canada
    Mimi, where do you get your BH4 from? I've looked for it but the websites I saw needed a health care provider's number or didn't ship to Canada.

9. Critterina

Critterina Senior Member

Arizona, USA
    I got mine from Nutrimedical.com.
    I couldn't see whether they shipped to Canada because their website was slow tonight. Or maybe it was my connection. Anyway, I gave up. Check them out.

See more popular forum discussions.