• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Next CFSAC meeting June 16-17, 2014

Hope123

Do they really think that we are so dense? If Wanda says everything is alright, we will believe it?

Perhaps not you personally but society is generally 80% "sheeple" (contraction of sheep and people) and so it's not surprising if the similar statistic applies to ME/CFS patients in general. (I would be glad to be proved wrong.) And politicians well know that if you repeat something enough, even if it's false, people will start to believe it's true. Cognitive psychology/ biases are fascinating.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Some people are too sick. Others are sick of these shenanigans. Some might be staying away as a protest.

I understand that many people are far too sick to attend the meeting but that would also have applied to previous meetings.

Yes, maybe it's a protest, or I wonder if there were similar issues around short notice and booking flights that Jeanette mentioned.

Whatever the reason, the difference is very striking.

Nielk

Why does Kaplan keep talking about this spectrum of diseases including chronic pain, neuro-psychiatric and depression?

Nielk

Alaine to the rescue! Thank you. We are a distinct disease. Do not lump us with depression spectrum. Clearly, Kaplan does not know the disease he is supposed to be representing.

NK17

Kraftchick - We first need a common base of patients (i.e. diagnostic criteria) before doing research.
Which is exactly what Dr. Nancy Klimas has recently said, that all these governmental "activation" is a bit premature, since there are serious studies (mainly abroad NO, AUS, UK) currently or about to start, that will give US some important answers that this CFSAC and their partners in crime (HHS, P2P, CDC, IOM etc.) won't have available when they'll take their decisions.

This is the same old story, or to put it as Mark Twain and before him Benjamin Disraeli: " Lies, damned lies and statistics. "

NK17

Couldn't help it and I started to watch …
It's rather painful at times…
I love Dr. Montoya and Dr. MaryAnn Fletcher interventions.
The Phonies2Phonies has to go ;), we can't take leap of faith with a bunch of people who know nothing about ME or worse mainly know the propaganda!

Last edited:

Denise

I understand that many people are far too sick to attend the meeting but that would also have applied to previous meetings.

Yes, maybe it's a protest, or I wonder if there were similar issues around short notice and booking flights that Jeanette mentioned.

Whatever the reason, the difference is very striking.

I think it is good that the difference in attendance was striking.
It would be interesting to know what past viewing (of livestream) #s have been and what the #s are for today and tomorrow.

Nielk

Day 2 of CFSAC meeting starting in five minutes. You can watch it here - http://www.hhs.gov/live

Today's agenda

9:00 a.m.

Call to Order
Roll Call (c-list below)

Nancy C. Lee, M.D.
Acting Chair
Designated Federal Officer

9:15 a.m.

Logistics

Nancy C. Lee, M.D.
Acting Chair
Designated Federal Officer (DFO)

9:30 a.m.

Agency Updates

CMS/FDA/HRSA/SSA

10:30 a.m.

Break

10:45 a.m.

Public Comment

Public

11:45 a.m.

Lunch

1:00 p.m.

Patients Registry Models
Autism Patient Registry

National Database for Autism Research

Patients Like Me

Beth A. Collins Sharp, Ph.D., R.N.

Dan Hall, Program Manager

TBD

2:00 p.m.

Future Directions
Post IOM Report Release

Model: Follow up of an IOM Report
"Epilepsy Across the Spectrum"

Nancy C. Lee, M.D.
Designated Federal Officer (DFO)

Margaret Jacobs
Science Community Liaison
American Epilepsy Society

Committee Discussion

3:15 p.m.

Break

3:30 p.m.

Future Directions
Committee Discussion

Committee members

4:15 p.m.

Future Directions
Audience Open Forum

Comments and Questions

Persons in attendance

5:00 p.m.

Adjourn

Rrrr

does anyone else want to watch this on an iphone? i can't seem to get it on my iphone.