1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Chronic Fatigue Initiative and Interview with Mady Hornig
In a follow-up article to the recent IACFS/ME conference presentation in San Francisco, and after speaking at length with Dr. Mady Hornig, 'searcher' delves deeper into the impressive work being completed by the Chronic Fatigue Initiative, and focuses in on those cytokine results ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Newton et al: POTS Clinical Characteristics of novel subgroup CFS

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Firestormm, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Firestormm

Firestormm Senior Member

Cornwall England
    Yep. Sound like moi too. It's in the Q & A at the end if I remember correctly - last 10-15 minutes I suppose.. A balding older fellow at the front asks and she talks about it. Though there are probably others things that could account for this I suppose - I also find this same desire when having a turbulent, heart racing, moment during the night or when trying to sleep and in a prone position. Who know? But it would narrow things down somewhat :)
  2. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    That could be an interesting alternative explanation: not that 13% (I think?) of ME patients have POTS, but that 13% of ME patients are susceptible to POTS symptoms at any given time.

I usually just have NMH symptoms, but I've also had episodes lasting 1-3 weeks that were more along the lines of severe POTS.
  3. Firestormm

Firestormm Senior Member

Cornwall England
    You might then like to listen to her presentation Enid. She talks (from memory) of 90% of people suffering with some form of autonomic dysfunction. Mind you I wouldn't rely on my memory right now. I need to go back through it all and make some notes. Might try a summary at some point. It was THAT good :)

Edit: £900,000 of the MRC money went to Newcastle University split equally across two projects - that's around 60%. Half of which is specifically for Julia's work here. I would suggest that based on her presentation she believes that all fatigue might have autonomic dysfunction to a greater or lesser extent at it's heart across all conditions for which fatigue is an issue. Though admittedly I need to go back through this presentation again at some point soon.
  4. ramakentesh

ramakentesh Senior Member

There have been numerous studies that have had often paradoxical results. A recent study from Vanderbilt suggested POTS CFS and CFS without POTS had similar indicators of sympathetic activation and autonomic HRV.
  5. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    I don't know if this paper originally allowed full access, but it currently has full free access.

Clinical characteristics of a novel subgroup of chronic fatigue syndrome patients with postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome
    I. Lewis, J. Pairman, G. Spickett & J. L. Newton

Here's the PDF:
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/joim.12022/pdf
    Sea and waiting like this.
  6. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    I might have missed it, but I can't see it mentioned in this thread.
    There's an editorial in the Journal of Internal Medicine commenting on Newton's POTS paper, written by Nijs.
    (I thought that Nijs was of the CBT school of thought, but the editorial suggests otherwise.)

Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome as a clinically important subgroup of chronic fatigue syndrome: further evidence for central nervous system dysfunctioning
    J. Nijs, K. Ickmans
    Article first published online: 8 Feb 2013
    DOI: 10.1111/joim.12034
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/joim.12034/full

PDF:
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/joim.12034/pdf

An interesting extract:
    Valentijn, Sea, Simon and 3 others like this.
  7. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

He seems to just want to be known as a CFS 'expert', but isn't too concerned by what that means.
    Bob likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.