• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

News story on Basketball student with CFS; reporter corrects name from cf

snowathlete

This is interesting I think because for those who don't know, exertional compartment syndrome is an exercise related problem - usually the legs - where the sheath surrounding a muscle is not big enough (perhaps not stretchy enough too?) and so when you exercise and blood flows to your muscles, the muscle tissue expands but is restricted by the tight sheath. This results in a large increase in pressure.
I was tested for this after leg injury on exercise and the pressure was over 100. Think it may have been 120 or something. It should be about 20, something like that.
So, I had surgery. Testing after that showed that it had worked.

Anyway, I was reading about DrNewton's work on blood pressure etc earlier and thought about this and wondered if there was some link. So interesting to see that someone else had the same thing as me and ME/CFS. I wonder if the two could be related somehow.

snowathlete

ok, for anyone interested here are the actual results from my records.
deep posterior compartment, left leg. The test involves inserting a small device into the muscle of the calf and its then taped in place. The device is connected to a machine via a tube full of saline. Its not dreadful but its not fun either. About half way through when the pressure drops that is because i started limping running mainly on my other leg.

pressure study.jpg

I remember with one of the studies, perhaps on my other leg, that when the pressure got really
high it actually pushed the device out of my leg despite the taping and fell on the floor. Immediately after this blood starting squirting out of my leg along with my heartbeat. If you have ever seen a gory film where someone lops someones head of arm off or whatever, and you get hte skirting blood from the stump - that actually is exactly what it is like. :eek:

By the way, i would not reccomend the surgery it is pretty awful, even when healthy!