A New Decade of ME Research: The 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry presents the first in a series of articles on the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

News Report on Blood Ban & CFS...

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by dannybex, Dec 10, 2010.

1. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    Not sure if this has been posted, but wanted to let people know that our Seattle tv news station just ran a story on the local blood banks decision to ban CFS patients from donating blood:

http://www.king5.com/health/Blood-C...from-Chronic-Fatigue-Sufferers-111698789.html

I hope you'll please take a moment to thank the reporter and the station for running the story. Any news relating to CFS/ME is good news. This station is really great, but I'm still in shock that it actually ran, and it ran near the top of the newcast. :)

NEWSFLASH: It was just picked up by MSNBC:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/40613..._wa/?fb_ref=story_text&fb_source=home_oneline

2. Otis

Otis SeƱor Mumbler

USA
    Super, a major "paper".

3. LJS

LJS Insert Witty Comment Here

East Coast, USA
    It is important for everyone to flood the comments on news stories like this to peak reporters interest.

4. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Switzerland/Spain (Valencia)
    Yes, and finally we can be "nice" patients :rolleyes:;). As compared to an angry mob that scares reporters and scientists...

5. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I recommend we all click on the links so these media sites see they get traffic if they cover this kind of story. It's an indication to them to keep going.

There are some great comments on there already. Here's one:

6. talkingfox

talkingfox Senior Member

Olympia, wa
    Hi. that's me on the story.
    A few points of interest that WEREn't highlighted:

The Guy from PSBB is the next prez. of teh AABB
    Their policy of BANNING donations from CFS patients wasn't implemented until AFTER talking to the reporters.
    As of Monday the week the story ran, the PSBB support staff hadn't even HEARD of XMRV (we have a paper trail on that one)

What this proves is that local action can make a difference in policy. No one in a position of authority likes to be put under the spotlight like that...

Have you talked to your regional /local bloodbank today? If you e-mail , keep copies of everything. It could be useful :)

7. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Congratulations! You were great - some really good quotes there. I was really impressed by how seriously they were taking it in the broadcast.

We should email and thank the producer (?) Tonya Mosley: tmosley[at]king5.com. I just sent a short email thanking her.

When we did this before on a Nevada radio station show about XMRV, they did indeed cover it again because of the huge response. It's well worth doing.

8. IntuneJune

IntuneJune Senior Member

NorthEastern USA
    Talkingfox, good job!

Good job! I also loved your quotes. Nicely donel, thank you!

June

See more popular forum discussions.