1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Join the National PR Campaign for ME: Power to the Patient (P2tP)
Have you had enough of all the neglect and abuse of ME/CFS patients? Gabby Klein says now is the time for a National PR Campaign for ME/CFS to impress a change. Join the Patient Revolution to restore power to ME patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

News from the CDC: chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) and standardized patient videos - a novel approach

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Free full text (2 pages) at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3830016/

This was published recently:

ETA: Basically, what is being referred to is the first educational module at: http://www.cdc.gov/cfs/education/ from what I can see.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
    Bob and Esther12 like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

The paper is all about submitting educational material/videos to www.mededportal.org .

I couldn't find anything there under Publications (I think they are submitting stuff), nor iCollaborative.

There are two entries under CE directory. I think they're the same:

Following the links on these brings one to:
    cdc.train.org.

One has to register here.

After registering, I got three results from searching for "chronic fatigue syndrome", two of which I think are the same:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Below is the page for the first result:

The link isn't working for me.

But I searched the CDC site and this is the link: http://www.cdc.gov/cfs/education/sleep/index.html

4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

5. Sparrow

Sparrow Senior Member

Canada
    I watched the CDC course on management. It's not awful. It does mention CBT and GET, but it stresses them in the actually useful way - CBT to help us rest more without feeling guilty about it, and graded exercise to prevent us from overdoing it. It made the clear statement that unlike depression, CFS is not a mental illness, and stressed that activity that causes PEM should be avoided. There were some good statements in there.

I'm not super keen that they were so clear about treatment with antivirals, etc. being so experimental still, but it is true.

I don't think it would be a bad thing if doctors became familiar with the things mentioned here. This gives me hope that we may actually be moving in the right direction. Such a short time ago, anything like this would have been so cringe-worthy it left me fuming. I was almost afraid to click.

Iquitos, Valentijn, SOC and 3 others like this.
  6. usedtobeperkytina

usedtobeperkytina Senior Member

Clay, Alabama
    I have said, after talking to some and reading what they say, that different "experts" use these terms to mean different things. I still don't think CDC should use the terms, for that very reason. However, we can take comfort that even if they use imprecise terms, when they explain it, they show a better understanding of the disease than was the case when Reeves was there.

Iquitos, Valentijn, SOC and 1 other person like this.
  7. usedtobeperkytina

usedtobeperkytina Senior Member

Clay, Alabama
    I can't find any videos. Can someone give the links to that? I looked at on of the CME courses, which I had seen before, but it had been a while. So I went to see if they had made any changes. They had. However, about halfway through, I stopped. Found two grammar errors, and the text went below the window bottom, but I couldn't get to it.

See more popular forum discussions.