Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

News article on "auto brewery syndrome".

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Martial, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Martial

Martial Senior Member

Ventura, CA
    Article is found here, excerpt

http://www.vice.com/read/my-gut-turns-yeast-into-alcohol?utm_source=vicefbus

2. South

South Senior Member

Southeastern United States
    Candida. Yup, that overgrowth condition that American doctors say "doesn't exist".

3. Snookum96

Snookum96 Senior Member

Ontario, Canada
    Omg this happens to me a lot. My husband even asks me after meals how food drunk I am. I thought it was related to food intolerances or mast cells. Who knows though, seems nothing we get is well understood.

4. Martial

Martial Senior Member

Ventura, CA
    interesting, definitely something I have never heard of until now. Yet seems to have common symptom ties with other chronic illnesses in some regard. So is it a guess to state this could be the result of full system candida infection? I think South also mentioned that, if that was the case after so long being diagnosed. As well as the kind of person you would have to see to get this properly diagnosed. It stands to wonder how he could still be sick, if it was simply treated with prescribed high doses of anti fungals ,changing the diet, and re forming a proper gut colony.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  5. PeterPositive

PeterPositive Senior Member

I have had similar problems but none of the comprehensive stool analysis I've done ever reported positivity for any yeast infection. Just minor imbalances of the good flora, not even particularly bad. Yet I cannot tolerate any yeast, not even from a mile away and probiotics usually make me feel bad, with the exception of bifidobacteria which don't cause bad reactions, but also don't help.

It's a complicated issues...

6. whodathunkit

whodathunkit Senior Member

I have read about people who have this problem getting arrested and convicted of DUI, because there's even enough alcohol on their breath to register on the breath meter administered by law enforcement.

I've literally caught a buzz off of a cheeseburger/fries/milkshake meal. It never happened a lot, though, and hasn't happened in long time.

See more popular forum discussions.