1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Newbie....Hi and a few questions...

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by peggybek, May 26, 2012.

1. peggybek

peggybek

Hi, I am new here! My name is Beki, from the UK. Am 37 and have had CFS for 22 years.

I am currently working on my adrenals with a view to starting T3 to help my low thyroid production but in preparation for this I have recently been told I may have problems with my methylation cycle (seem to freak out each time I try and put in B Complex vitamins!?)

My questions are:

Do you feel is it important/vital to have the tests mentioned to confirm a problem or can I just try the protocol and see what happens?

Also has anyone tried Dr Myhills suggestions for dealing with this?
    http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/CFS_-_The_Methylation_Cycle

How long do you have to do the protocol for?

How do you know it has worked without testing is it just that you feel better and can then tolerate B vitamins again?

Sorry if these seem like simple questions. Many thanks.
    Beki
  2. Rand56

Rand56 Senior Member

Myrtle Beach, SC
    hi peggybek

I am certainly not qualfied to answer your questions, but I just did want to give you a heads up on something, and whether this would apply to your situation I have no idea. There are some people on this forum, including me, that have not had good experiences with either prescription or natural supps dealing with adrenals. Maybe you can read this thread, then talk to someone more qualified if this is any concern for your type of situation.....

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/isocort-supplement.15888/
  3. peggybek

peggybek

Thanks for the heads up. Sadly I'm in deep on the adrenal side - I've been on Prednisolone (steroids) for 2 years. I can't say I'm much better (still housebound!!) and would definately rather not be taking the, but was told by Docs that my adrenals were so bad I wouldn't survive if I didn't start.

Ho hum! So here I am just doing everything else I can to help my poor ole bod (you know the rap - supplements, pacing, FIRS sauna, gluten free, grain free, low carb, additive free etc.....). So the next on my list was the methylation cycle.....

Sorry you had such a bad experience with adrenal supps, hope you have found something to ease your symptoms a bit.

Kind regards, Beki
  4. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Hi Beki,

Welcome!

As far as supplementing T3, this is something to research a bit. The relation between the thyroid and the adrenals is important. Some think you should not treat the thyroid until you have better adrenal function. There is also the question of whether you want to take just T3 or T3 & T4 together--a product such as Armour Thyroid. You will find a lot of information about dealing with these issues. The search engine isn't perfect but is a big help.

One member had a horrible experience on a high dose of T3, but I'd hope your doctor would know better than that!

Best wishes,
    Sushi
  5. peggybek

peggybek

Hi Sushi, thank you, yeah research continuing as we speak. I have RT3 issues (don't ask v complicated...) so cannot tolerate T4. It's been a long journey for me they thyroid one as thats where I started - my adrenals at last count still are not strong enough to tolerate T3 and one of the reasons maybe because of this faulty methylation cycle. Who knows??? Alls I do know is me ole bod NEEDS soma that T3 asap!!

Kind regards for your health too and thanks for letting me know about the search engine - I'm sure I'll spend hours on there!! :)

Beki
  6. Kina

Kina Moderation Team Lead

Ontario, Canada
    Welcome to the forum, Beki. :)
  7. place

place Be Strong!

US
    Welcome!
    I started meth in April and have had some positive results. There is so much information on this blog its mind blowing. I have been researching everyday for 7 weeks and still don't have a full grasp on it. But you have to become expert on it because everyone is different and what works for one person, will not work for anyone else. I do think testing will help you sort some stuff out and get you ahead of the game.

Good luck!
  8. brenda

brenda Senior Member

UK
    Hi Beki

I have had problems with my thyroid and adrenals for a long time. I saw a private Dr in the UK and he told me to take hydrocortisone but I was too scared. Thyroid extract made me worse. I decided to take NaturThroid at a low dose while working on my adrenals with herbs and then later on pregnenolone but could not get the dose up beyond one grain and continued thyroid symptoms. Then I began to have reverse T3 problems so began T3 instead.

I started to take B2 and manganese according to the protocol described on my B2 I love you thread and a few weeks later, I had to reduce T3 even further as hyper symptoms increased. My hair test also showed I was hyperthyroid. Then I had to stop T3 completely. I found out that manganese had enabled my thyroid to start functioning better and taking T3 was overkill. I have been off thyroid hormones for a few weeks now and my skin has become soft and I don`t have constipation any more. I am hoping to have my thyroid tested when I attend Breakspear next month so I will know if it is really functioning which I feel will be amazing considering I was diagnosed with Hashis and very high antibodies 12 years ago.
    RosieBee likes this.
  9. peggybek

peggybek

Thanks Brenda, glad you have found something that has helped you. I am very interested in what you did. Tried to find the exact protocol you followed in your thread but got a bit overwhelmed.....so much brain fog....you know how it is.

Wonder if you can list for me what you did exactly and what you took. Had you had tests to show you needed B2 or something first?

I read something on the thread about not tolerating B complex - that's me, but I couldn't understand what was being explained on there. Did you take B2 and then this enabled you to take the other B vits?

If there is any way you could explain this in a simple way for me that would be ab fab!!

Thank you SO much this could be a key to helping me to.

Beki
  10. brenda

brenda Senior Member

UK
    Hi Beki

You can find out more on the Hair Test thread on the Alternative forums.

Basically, Dog Person interprets hair mineral tests and she has found that PWC have similar imbalances which are treated by b2 and manganese, plus other nutrients according to ones individual needs. She does not like complexes as apparently they cause imbalances due to b2 being needed in the synthasis of the other b`s . She also thinks that folic acid fortification badly affects our health. Her view is that supplementing something we are deficient in, will often just make the problem worse, that is apart from b2 and manganese and that we have a problem with storing iron in our livers. She thinks that once the b2 and manganese is supplied, the methylation cycle will come up. The other b vits come from my diet.

She told me I have severe b2 deficiency which I confirmed through an organic urine test done previously without realising how significant the b2 deficiency was.

There is a group of us trying to follow her protocol after having the hair tests done, but she is not taking anyone else on at the moment but you can find out all about it on the Facebook group Hair Analysis (ME/CFS) by contacting Dreambirdie.
  11. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    What exactly is in your B complex? If it has inactive forms of B12 and folic acid, they may be making you worse because your body can't process them (assuming you have a methylation cycle block). If it has the active versions of B12 and folic acid (aka methylcobalamin and L-5 methyltetrahydrofolate) then your body will utilize them, but it may be too much right now and the symptoms would be toxins being released. In that case, you would cut back to a much smaller dose until you can tolerate them.

To see if you have a methylation cycle block, you can take the Vitamin Diagnostics Methylation Panel, or just start taking the supplements and see what happens.

If you've been on steroids for 2 years and have been doing ok, you're probably ok. I had terrible problems tolerating even tiny amounts of ACE, DHEA and pregnenolone and ended up overdosing with horrible symptoms for months. It's taken me almost a year to recover. My adrenals are back to their normal totally crashed state, and I'm not dead yet :p
  12. Tito

Tito Senior Member

Hello,
    I was told 18 months ago my adrenal glands were barely functioning. However, after reading the pros and cons about supplementation, i decided to do nothing. I am not saying you should do the same, i am just saying that i personally believe that in SOME cases the hormonal 'disbalance' can be an adaptative response of the body to an illness. I have noticed that some doctors immediately assume that if there is something outside the normal range, it must automatically be the cause of the symptoms. And they end up 'correcting' the very things that help contain the illness.
    Of course, you are the only one who will bear the positive and negative effects of the medication, so make sure it is YOUR decision and not just a doctor trying something on you to see if it works.
    Good luck
    Tito
  13. peggybek

peggybek

Thanks so much for the info Brenda you are star, will look into this.
    brenda likes this.
  14. peggybek

peggybek

Thanks for your info Tito - sadly too late for me been on steroids 2 years now!! If any help for you with adrenal problems look at site http://recoveringwitht3.com/ and linked yahoo forum. Very interesting - it is with this protocol (once I have dealt with any methylation cycle prob I may have!!) I am hoping to evenutally get off these damn steroids!! ;)

Kind regards and good health.

Beki
  15. peggybek

peggybek

Thanks Caledonia, fingers crossed it was just that I was taking an inactive form that caused the problem - as I have found out that is what they were.

I have been taking B12 - methylcobalamin and P-5-P - Vitamin B5 for at least 6 months with no problem, do you know if this would indicate I WOULDN'T have a problem with this cycle?

No worries if you don't know, I'll have a pop at the supps and see what happens.

So glad you are more or less recovered from your steroid experience I've got that to face- eekk!! Please look at my reply to Tito below for link you may find interesting on adrenal recovery.

Thanks again.

Beki
  16. peggybek

peggybek

Bless ya, great to be here!! :thumbsup:
  17. peggybek

peggybek

Ta loads for your encouragement, glad it has helped you, yeah learnt my brain is WAY too foggy to read too much about it so gonna start off quite simple and see where is gets me.

Good health hugs. Beki
  18. Freddd

Freddd Senior Member

Salt Lake City

Hi Beki,

The BRAND of methylb12 makes all the difference in the world, only Jarrow and Enzyamtic Therapy so far are clearcut 5 star and maybe a couple more that come in at 3-4 stars. Other tiems that can cause hyoersensitive reactions in all this are SAM-e and/or TMG in the mb12 chain, adb12, l-carnitine fumarate, vit D, vit A, zinc, magnesium and probazbly a few other things based on peoples responses and reports.

See more popular forum discussions.