New Atmosphere, New Vision: Gibson and Whittemore Kick Off Invest in ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry reports on Dr. Gibson's introduction and Dr. Whittemore's keynote speech, at the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

New York Attorney General Targets Supplements at Major Retailers

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by JPV, Feb 3, 2015.

1. JPV

JPV ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs

I've always found it interesting that the brands of supplements that are found in major chain grocery and drug stores are rarely, if ever, found in health food and vitamin shops. Same with pet food, you never find major national brands in reputable pet stores.

I always figured the stuff in major chains was crap but I never thought it was this bad. I always figured the ingredients were of just a poor quality. I never expected that some of them would be a complete lie.

It really saddens me how corrupt and greedy American corporations have become and how our government exerts such little oversight...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
    zzz, Gingergrrl, Wally and 1 other person like this.
  2. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

There needs to be quality control - but NOT the draconian measures which people will use this study to insist upon. If they turn it into a circus requiring FDA approval, studies, etc, we can wave bye-bye to supplements.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
    CantThink, zzz, Mij and 8 others like this.
  3. JPV

JPV ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs

Yeah, my big fear is that the authorities will use this sort of thing as a pretext to ban or make the production of legitimate supplements more difficult and expensive... all on the behalf of Big Pharma interests.

MeSci and Valentijn like this.
  4. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
    Lots of supplements are made by "private label manufacturers" who contract with distributors. So the name on the label can change, and the distributor can change manufacturers.

Plus Big Pharma owns some of the supplement companies. Sorry, I'm not getting good internet right now, so I can't give you more info.

barbc56 likes this.
  5. satori

satori

NJ
    And this happened-apparently for a significant period of time-under the FDA's watch. Just another way to try to discredit alternative medicine.

6. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
  7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Australia went through a slightly different crisis a few years back. Supplements were made on machines that also made products many were allergic to. Much of the range of supplements made here was shut down, and remained drastically reduced for some time. It was a setback, but did not last.

The industry needs to be aware that they can damage their reputation in the long term if they engage in misleading and dangerous practices.

These kinds of things do not just occur with supplements either. There is far more extra virgin olive oil sold in the world than is actually made.

Mij, MeSci, Valentijn and 2 others like this.
  8. WillowJ

WillowJ คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl

WA, USA
    So when we have studies saying some vitamin or supplement "does not work", were they actually using the vitamin or supplement in question, or just rice flour and random greens and allergens?

Sidereal, MeSci, Valentijn and 2 others like this.
  9. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    There's another thread here. Can they be merged?

10. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    We do in the UK. The same big pet food brands are sold almost everywhere - pet shops, supermarkets and online. Pharmacies tend to sell brands of supplement made by big, long-established companies, whereas health food shops sometimes sell smaller brands, but may also sell some of the bigger brands. To get the supplements brands I prefer I usually have to buy online, as there's not a good range in the small town where I live.

11. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
    Probably the former, but it would depend on the quality of the study. Read the study to find out, and if it isn't clear, email the principal investigator.

barbc56 likes this.
  12. WillowJ

WillowJ คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl

WA, USA
    I usually just read summaries of what all studies have been done, as i can't read everything. But I clearly recall reading one like (paraphrase):
    we had everyone take their normal multivitamin, because that most closely matches what people do in everyday experience, and found no benefit to taking multivitamins

MeSci likes this.
  13. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

Regulation does not mean that supplements are only available by prescription. However because they are not regulated in the US, I only use prescription supplements. Maybe oversight is a better description than regulation.

Canada regulates supplements. Here's an informative site regarding this.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/prodnatur/faq/question_consum-consom-eng.php

14. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem All Good Things Must Come to an End

A radio report I heard said that they did not find any DNA of the plant on the label in an herbal extract. Would an extract contain DNA?

15. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    We've been discussing this in the other thread.

Little Bluestem likes this.
  16. ProveIt

ProveIt

I have always avoided supplements that use fillers or prop blends, but it seems they just flat out lie on the label anyway.
    Curious if the onus of blame should be placed on the manufacturing labs or the distribution chains. Hard to believe that chains so big can't afford to have their supplements quality tested.

See more popular forum discussions.