1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A Little Poisoning Along the Road to ME/CFS
Looking at my symptoms, many of which are far less these days and some are gone, it would be easy to figure that I'd just been dealing with some heavy-duty menopausal issues.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

New XMRV study to be undertaken.

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by V99, Mar 31, 2010.

1. V99

V99 *****

UK
    Glaxo Smith Kline funding. Posted on the ME Association news page:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1234:new-xmrv-research-study-announced&catid=30:news&Itemid=161

2. Adam

Adam *****

Sheffield UK
    Amazing V99 - you the man (woman?) :D

Adam has thought of attempting several cartwheels across the floor, decided against it as he hasn't done this in about 15 years, and has stayed rooted to his chair but nonetheless remains incredibly (temporarily) energised and excited and 'over the moon'.

GLAXO SMITH KLINE :cool: DO THEY GET ANY BIGGER?

I mean what's a few hundred K or a couple of mill to them, whatever they are spending on it, nothing?

Maybe not the first in the race of the big drugs companies? but probably the biggest.

This is what we wanted - more good news. Nail the virus. Nail it. Chuck drugs at it. Beat the 8hit out of it!

:victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory:

3. V99

V99 *****

UK
    I'm a woman. Victoria is my name.

I too would like to do cartwheels, but I never learnt.

I will admit, I am confident that the XMRV story will be completed and we will know the truth either way. It is so out of the bag. :D

[​IMG]

4. bananaman

bananaman

Bognor UK
    Go on come to the UK and do the same kind of study here! :D

5. valia

valia Senior Member

UK
    Glaxo Smith Kline, would not be getting involved unless there was money in it, therefore they must be pretty sure, they are going to find XMRV in M.E

6. V99

V99 *****

UK
    I'm not counting them chickens yet, but the last line is interesting.

7. VillageLife

VillageLife Senior Member

United Kingdom
    OH WOW this is brilliant news!! Probably the best news we've had in a while.

Also I'm hopeful that because GSK have taken this on, hopefully it will drive other scientists/companies to start looking at this, this is a good sign.
    It shows that a powerful company are really taking this seriously and its sending out a positive message.:victory: (It doesn't get bigger then GSK!)

8. Alexia

Alexia Senior Member

Portugal
    Great news! Slowly things are happening..
    I just want to know the truth one way or another.

9. willow

willow Senior Member

East Midlands
    Agreed. Very promising.

BTW if anyone wants to delegate their cartwheels to me I'm happy to give it shot

10. Gerwyn

Gerwyn Guest

If glaxo is involved they are convinced by the science study as are Abbot . These people evaluate studies for a living.They dont make many mistakes--any mistake can cost many million pounds or dollars

11. Gerwyn

Gerwyn Guest

yes please willow that would be great

12. V99

V99 *****

UK
    Willow.

I have a whole bunch of attempted cartwheels from when I was little. Say about 100. Just don't try them all in the same year.

13. Bob

Bob

South of England
    Great news!

I think it's unheard of for a big establishment study to use the Canadian Criteria, so already the WPI have made a huge difference to research into ME, whatever the outcome of this study... i think it might be a step-change for our cause and maybe even moves us forwards in a huge leap!

Cartwheels:
    BTW, for anyone thinking about doing cartwheels... :victory: please think carefully before doing so... I can guarantee that all upper body muscles will hurt like hell for far too long afterwards! Plus, you might not make the complete cartwheel anyway, as the arms might give way half way round, resulting in the head crashing onto the floor... it could be carnage! And then there's always a risk of all the excitment causing a relapse... So it all seems pretty unsafe really! lol
    But a short period of shrieking and whooping is probably fine! ;)

14. Parismountain

Parismountain Senior Member

South Carolina
    I got the Biobank letter since I've been a patient with Dr. Lapp for maybe 14 years. This is pretty exciting, I just called and left message with the Biobank to contact me for the blood draw. One unexciting thing is it looks like I won't be receiving any test results. Boy, how about a free XMRV screen at least. I'll get over it I guess and will happily donate some blood to further research.

15. omerbasket

omerbasket Senior Member

It really does seem good to me. There is only one aspect I would like you all to concider: Is it possible that GSK want to market some other drug for ME/CFS, and they are arfraid that finding the cause for ME/CFS (and XMRV might be the cause) might "kill" their aspirations (because if you can effectively treat the cause - why treat the symptoms?)?

I'm definitley not saying that it is so, and actually these news makes me more optimistic, but do you think it's possible?

16. Lesley

Lesley Senior Member

Southeastern US
    It's really good to know that one of the first studies using the Biobank will be a real replication study. It's also good to hear Dr. Lapp's point of view on XMRV and the studies to date. He has been quiet while others have given presentations.

17. Lesley

Lesley Senior Member

Southeastern US
    Omerbasket, GSK makes antiretrovirals, so they would benefit if XMRV is the cause of CFS.

18. Nina

Nina Senior Member

Omerbasket: As far as I know taking those anti-retrovirals would be a life-long thing, so it might mean even more money for them.

Willow: I'll be modest and ask for one tiny cartwheel only, thank you so much :) Was trying to get my cat to do it but she looked at me like I'd lost it (what is she, a Dr. or something??)

Go GSK!! :victory:

19. Robin

Robin Guest

They're taking a calculated risk. Big Pharma loves a cash cow patient population and they're finally eyeing us. Woo-hoo!

If XMRV ---> CFS, I hope some day they come up with a vaccine for this sh@t. I don't want anyone to have to go through what I did EVER AGAIN... And maybe, if there is another major retrovirus in play the new knowledge could help with the elusive AIDS vaccine. A long shot, I know, but imagine what that would do for people in Africa.

20. Adam

Adam *****

Sheffield UK
    I'm regretting starting the cartwheel thingy. To clear my conscience I issue the following statement:

WARNING!

Cartwheels (AKA going *rse over *it) is dangerous for your own health or any person or family pet in the immediate vicinity.

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!

OR IN THE GARDEN

CLOSE TO MOWERS/WATER FEATURES ETC.

If you get the urge, DON'T. Just imagine yourself cartwheeling instead.

there are no viruses contained in this message

sent to you by an affiliate of the COFIB, La-La land.

(To obtain pills, application forms for Laughter Practitioner therapy courses, instructions on how to arrange flowers whilst in the midst of major relapse contact Pastor Yes)

See more popular forum discussions.