• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

new XMRV research (talks about prostate cancer but mentions EBV promoting XMRV

Gemini

I hate that idea.. more like they'd then be studying over training syndrome some body builders and athletes get rather then CFS/ME

You're right. Researchers would need to create an infected animal model (XMRV and co-infections) plus ME/CFS immune abnormalities then introduce exercise/exertion.

Wonder whether any of the ME/CFS patients in the Lights exercise challenge study are XMRV+ with co-infections? Be nice to know...

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
If they come up with an animal model that they can infect with XMRV and co-inections, I truly feel sorry for that animal!!!!

Lyme and NFKB?

I CAN ONLY offer this up to those of you with brains that still function.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=NFkB lyme

The antibiotics doxycycline and minocycline inhibit the inflammatory responses to the Lyme disease spirochete Borrelia burgdorferi.

Abstract
Tetracyclines moderate inflammatory responses of various etiologies. We hypothesized that tetracyclines, in addition to their antimicrobial function, could exert control over the inflammation elicited by Borrelia burgdorferi. To model systemic effects, we used the human monocytic cell line THP-1; to model effects in the central nervous system, we used rhesus monkey brain astrocytes and microglia. Cells were stimulated with live or sonicated B. burgdorferi or with the lipoprotein outer surface protein A in the presence of increasing concentrations of doxycycline or minocycline. Both antibiotics significantly reduced the production of tumor necrosis factor-alpha, interleukin (IL)-6, and IL-8 in a dose-dependent manner in all cell types. Microarray analyses of the effect of doxycycline on gene transcription in spirochete-stimulated monocytes revealed that the NFKB and CHUK (alias, IKKA) genes were down-regulated. Functionally, phosphorylation of IkappaBalpha and binding of NF-kappaB to target DNA were both reduced in these cells. Our results suggest that tetracyclines may have a dual therapeutic effect in Lyme disease.

Thing is though, if you switch off the immune response and inflammatory response, what effect does that have on the original infection? You'll get positive results if the consequences of immune response are currently worse than what they're responding to...but over time, that equilibrium will change...

Stuck between a rock and a hard place?...