• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New VP of Research at Solve ME/CFS Initiative

sarah darwins

@Sasha - I developed a variation on Nigella Lawson's chocolate/olive oil cake which is gluten-free and dairy-free, and which I usually make with stevia or xylitol instead of sugar. All organic ingredients. Everyone I've made it for has rated it among their favourite ever chocolate cakes. Usually I don't tell them about the sugar-free bit. They don't notice. I'll post the recipe on my blog page some time (will try to do it in next day or two).

Recipe now on my blog page: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?entries/gluten-dairy-sugar-free-chocolate-cake.1785/

Last edited:

Sasha

Fine, thank you
@Sasha - I developed a variation on Nigella Lawson's chocolate/olive oil cake which is gluten-free and dairy-free, and which I usually make with stevia or xylitol instead of sugar. All organic ingredients. Everyone I've made it for has rated it among their favourite ever chocolate cakes. Usually I don't tell them about the sugar-free bit. They don't notice. I'll post the recipe on my blog page some time (will try to do it in next day or two).

Can't even have chocolate. :(:cry: Can't have a ton of stuff - it's not just gluten/dairy. It's Paleo autoimmune and also minus tyramine, which is the killer.

But thanks anyway! I'm sure there'll be a lot of customers here for the recipe.

user9876

I think we're all a paranoid with our history of abuse, but I believe Dr Nahle has good reasons to hitch his wagon to ME/CFS/SEID.

My comment was more of a general one than ME specific I get equally paranoid when we recruit at work.

user9876

Ron Davis recently said that this disease is a career-maker, for those with the intelligence to see it. Perhaps Dr Nahle can see it!

Given its an area of medicine that has many open questions it seems like one that should attract very good researchers who have the ambition to make real breakthroughs and if they do then I think careers will be built.

Bob

acouchy

Unwilling ME/CFS Participant Since 1996
Always good to be skeptical, but I do think that when you see people like James Dewey Watson (ok sort of cv) joining the advisory board of OMF's End ME/CFS Project rather than, say, going fishing, it does suggest that high calibre scientists are starting to see me/cfs as a genuinely fascinating area. Thank heavens.

We do not need high calibre scientists with reputations like the one James Watson has anywhere near ME/CFS. It will hurt what little credibility we have.
Read this...
http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...structure_discoverer_s_history_of_racism.html

Last edited:

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
The only thing missing from his CV is PR's highest honour, and I'd like to rectify that now:
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The highest honour requires being a member of this forum! :cat:

Edit, he seems to have done research on fatty acid metabolism and even CD36 (though I'm pretty sure I'm the only one on the forum currently interested in CD36!)...

love this group!!!
...thought I will drop in and say hello to you guys. And, Simon, where do I sign up for PR's highest honors competition? between you and me, I am happy just being here on your forum, that is distinction enough, friend!
Looking forward to collaborating with you all and learning from your institutional memory and these pages...yes, a little skepticism is useful sometimes (keeps us honest) but above all thank you for the kind words!
Zaher

Denise

love this group!!!
...thought I will drop in and say hello to you guys. And, Simon, where do I sign up for PR's highest honors competition? between you and me, I am happy just being here on your forum, that is distinction enough, friend!
Looking forward to collaborating with you all and learning from your institutional memory and these pages...yes, a little skepticism is useful sometimes (keeps us honest) but above all thank you for the kind words!
Zaher

Welcome!

Glad you are here!

Can you share how you became interested in this disease?
And give us a sense of what you know about it?

Bob

love this group!!!
Zaher
Hi Zaher, a huge welcome to the forum. We're delighted to have you here. Hope you will feel free to use this forum to bounce ideas around if helpful, ask any questions, and share any news. We're a large and highly informed community of patients, carers and advocates, so please make use of us if you can. Looking forward to engaging with you. Best wishes.

catly

love this group!!!
Zaher

Hello and a big welcome Zaher! So glad to see you've joined the forum. I look forward to learning more about you and your work at Solve MECFS.

Also ditto what @Bob said about bouncing things off us!

Thank you all and forgive me for being concise these days...still moving in and all over the place right now but I wanted to make sure that I say hi at least...but I will be a regular on your forum and I look forward to bouncing ideas and doing this together (thank you bob catly and everybody)...the group at SMCI is, like you, truly exceptional and dedicated folks...best to all, Zaher

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Thank you all and forgive me for being concise these days...still moving in and all over the place right now but I wanted to make sure that I say hi at least...but I will be a regular on your forum and I look forward to bouncing ideas and doing this together (thank you bob catly and everybody)...the group at SMCI is, like you, truly exceptional and dedicated folks...best to all, Zaher

Hi, Zaher, and welcome to the forums! Delighted that Solve have got themselves such a great person for the job and that you're willing to come here and engage with patients.

I hope the settling-in process goes well! :)

A.B.

Hi Zaher

Welcome to the forum. It's good to see more researchers getting involved, and getting in touch with patients.

The Rituximab results, the Solve ME/CFS initiative, Lipkin's and Hornig's work, the IOM report (and probably a few other important things I'm forgetting at the moment) give me hope that the stage is set for ME/CFS becoming a hot area of research. Of course funding is still a problem, but I think that could change rapidly. How do you see this?

Hey folks,

I want to share with you my short essay about my experience with patients. I heard what you said before and I wanted to start at the source and head your advice. Thank you for that advice. And let me plug here too Simon (great analysis by the way S n S),

This is out now in one of the SMCI publications, Research 1st. I will write regularly there and share here occasionally, if ok...I wanted to contribute this one in particular because it was stimulated by you and your comments.

You can subscribe for free to this e-newsletter too if you wish: http://solvecfs.org/get-involved/newsletters/

Yours,
Zaher

As it appears in Research, 1st August 2015 http://solvecfs.org/newsletter/2015/august/

Albert Einstein once wrote that “In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” That is precisely what I learned during a three-day visit to the Bateman Horne Center in Salt Lake City, Utah, last week.
Settling into my new role at SMCI, I wished for my first engagement to be unfiltered and right at the source: face to face with patients and their families. The trip was an opportunity to do just that. It was also a chance to discuss research collaborations with Dr. Cindy Bateman, a thought leader known and beloved by many of you and a friend of our organization who made this visit possible through one gracious invitation.

This workshop of sorts shaped, and perhaps forever, my perspective on the illness, including the plight of the sick and the very sick. I learned from the visceral, no-frills analysis by patients that they have been seriously robbed from even simple pleasures. Things that many take for granted, like taking a stroll when you want to or carry a child in your arms—or even have a child. Almost all described an admixture of raw emotions and articulated their notion of dual pain, both the physiological kind and the other type that hurt just as much: pain born out of dismissal and skepticism by others, or from that protracted chase of an elusive cure.

I met Philip, a giant of a man misdiagnosed for years. He once “crashed” during a run to the local hardware store when his trip lasted a few minutes longer than he had budgeted for on a crowded shopping day. I also bonded with Matt, a still-giggly 16-year-old who has been visiting the clinic since he was 13. Taking one shower per week was his goal as he put it, and, no, that is not because he is 16! Carol and Joe, Matt’s parents, described how they found Matt face down on the bathroom floor one time. He thought he could do it alone—take a shower that is—yet was betrayed by his illness and the semblance of normalcy that day. I also spoke at length with Natalie and her husband. Natalie is very sick. And with what looked like to me a permanent smile tattooed on her face explained with much dignity that her wish is to go to the movies, just for a couple of hours, with her husband sometimes. To her, that is as challenging as climbing Mount Everest.

I have many more tales but very little space, friends, so to be continued…For now, I just say that despite the diversity of this group in age and function, the common and palpable thread is that indomitable spirit, coupled with a strong desire to solve this.

You are the reason we come to work every single day here at the Solve ME/CFS Initiative.

Yours,
Zaher Nahle
Vice President for Research and Scientific Programs