• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

new type of immune cell found which kills viral infected B cells (follicular cytotoxic T cells)

taniaaust1

(wow a lot of researchers worked on this study)
http://www.nature.com/ni/journal/v17/n10/full/ni.3543.html

CXCR5+ follicular cytotoxic T cells control viral infection in B cell follicles
Nature Immunology 17, 1187–1196 (2016) doi:10.1038/ni.3543
Received 19 July 2016
Accepted 29 July 2016
Published online 03 August 2016

Abstract
During unresolved infections, some viruses escape immunological control and establish a persistant reservoir in certain cell types, such as human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), which persists in follicular helper T cells (TFH cells), and Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), which persists in B cells. Here we identified a specialized group of cytotoxic T cells (TC cells) that expressed the chemokine receptor CXCR5, selectively entered B cell follicles and eradicated infected TFH cells and B cells. The differentiation of these cells, which we have called 'follicular cytotoxic T cells'

I myself when I had EBV (mono) severely as a teen (extremely sick for 10 weeks to point i had seizures and passouts due to the EBV) have always thought since then I have something wrong or different with my immune system to others. (I got ME 10 years after that mono), so maybe its due to something being wrong with this new type of cell which can kill mono infected cells?. I wish I could have my follicular cytotoxic T cells tested.

anciendaze

This is encouraging because such highly specific cells can be selected from patient blood using a cell sorter, stimulated, cloned and reintroduced to the same patient in a form of adoptive immunotherapy. Eliminating infected B-cells looks like a promising approach to treating a number of serious diseases that get more respect than ME/CFS. Once preliminary research has been done in treatment for such things as leukemia/lymphoma we can expect to piggyback on that as happened with Rituximab.