• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New to forum and conflicted & confused w/ 23andme methylation results

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and am so glad to have found it. It seems to be a very positive, encouraging, and helpful place....wish I had found it sooner! I've looked over my methylation results and they don't seem straightforward to me and present somewhat of a challenge (at least to me). It seems there are mutations that conflict with other mutations' general treatment recommendations. Here are my results...thanks for any help. Have a good weekend everyone...be well!

Here are your homozygous mutations as indicated in your SNP gene table above (not including MTHFR):
  • COMT V158M
  • COMT H62H
  • VDR Taq
  • MTRR A66G
Here are your heterozygous mutations as indicated in your SNP gene table above (not including MTHFR):
  • ACAT1-02
  • BHMT-02
  • BHMT-04
  • BHMT-08
  • CBS C699T

Attachments

• methylation results.jpg
    methylation results.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 7
MTRR A66G means you don't recycle B12 particularly well. Hence B12 could be helpful. HydroxoB12 might be a safer option, due to your slow COMT SNPs.

I'd agree that due to MTRR, I should get some B12. Generally, hydroxy & adenosyl B12 would be recommended over methyl B12 since I have 2 COMT SNPs. Didn't know if I should have a small amount of methyl B12 in the mix. The VDR Taq SNP indicates that I might have some methyl groups available due to the slow breakdown of dopamine. Also, in regards to the shortcut with BHMT...generally people with BHMT SNPs are advised to take TMG (trimethylglycine) but since I have the 2 COMT SNPs, should I stay away from that methyl donor? I don't know if I should supplement exclusively with hydroxy & adenosyl B12 or add in some TMG or any amount of methyl B12? I'm assuming I should take some folate in the form of 5-MTHF as well if I'm supplementing with B12. If I'm off track....please let me know.

Hi I'm new to the forum and I also need help, I'm a bit confused, I'm trying to understand what it all means, and been to many websites and which supplements to help me.
Here are your homozygous mutations as indicated in your SNP gene table above (not including MTHFR):

• COMT V158M
  • COMT H62H
  • VDR Taq
  • MAO-A R297R
  • CBS C699T
Here are your heterozygous mutations as indicated in your SNP gene table above (not including MTHFR):

• MTRR A66G
  • MTRR K350A
  • BHMT-02
  • BHMT-08
If anyone can help me or guide me, really appreciate it. Thank you

Screen shot 2014-02-13 at 12.22.56 PM.png