1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 1 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. Part 1 of a 2-part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS. Part 1 focuses...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

New Study Shows Dangers of Stem Cell Treatment

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by jenbooks, Nov 16, 2009.

1. jenbooks

jenbooks Guest

2. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    Jen...

...there's a post over on CFSFMExperimental (#129258) where a patient of Cheney's talks about improving on stem cells, but then relapsed, which he says Cheney attributed to stress...

d.
  3. Aftermath

Aftermath Guest

Stem Cell Therapy

Undergoing stem cell therapy for an illness with a completely unknown etiology is beyond reckless at this current time.

As awful as I feel, I wouldn't go near this right now.
  4. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    I think Cheney's patients were given placental stem cells rather than cord. I don't know what the difference would be in relation to this study though. I have one friend who received this treatment several months ago who is greatly improved. She is waiting for her XMRV results, so who knows how it will shake down.

Sushi
  5. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    I can't remember now, but I think one of our members posted about a catastrophic result when her father had stem cell treatment. Does anyone else remember this?
  6. Kati

Kati Patient in training

I am not totally sure about the procedure Cheney does follow. I have been a chemo nurse working in stem cell transplantations- autologous, which means patients with life threatening diseases like multiple myeloma and lymphoma, sometimes metastatic testicular cancer would go through this procedure. They would be admitted for 3-5 weeks, given chemo that would literally destroy their bone marrow, and then reinfused their own stem cells that would have been collected a month or 2 ago. The effects of the chemo were devastating on their bodies, putting them at risk of life threatening infections, and really raw GI tract, from mouth to rectum. These procedures would be used after all other treatment options would be exhausted because of the cost and risk involved.

With someone else's stem cells, even if it's placental, one has to worry about matching the donor cells to the recipient, since there is a risk of rejection.Any little variance and you have more chances to get "Graft vs host disease" which can leave you with liver, kidney, skin damage, amongst other things. It is definitly more risky and the mortality and morbidity risk is higher.

Please let me know if Cheney uses the same procedure. I am curious.
  7. Sushi

Albuquerque
    Cheney uses a clinic in Panama. Patients are given several IV infusions of someone else's stem cells (they have been carefully screened for pathogens, etc), and the later groups of patients have also received stem cells from their own fat (sorry, can't remember the name of that procedure). They don't undergo the prep that is used in the stem cell transplants you have worked with.

As I understood it from one of his patients, placental stem cells didn't have the risk of rejection. Most patients have reported progressive improvement. If they turn out to be positive for XMRV, (he is testing them) it isn't clear what effect that will have on the improvement--will the XMRV eventually undo the improvement?

Sushi
  8. Kati

Kati Patient in training

My guess is if there is one B or T cell left behind that is infected with XMRV, it would sooner or later dysregulate the immune system all over again.
    It's nothing scientific, just a guess.
  9. dsdmom

dsdmom Senior Member

Stem Cells engineered to Kill HIV

Did anybody see this or post about it already? My apologies if it's being discussed elsewhere.

http://www.advocate.com/UCLA_Stem_Cells_Can_Kill_HIV/

I guess the question is whether this sort of thing could work for XMRV too.
  10. MargeM

MargeM MargeM

11. fresh_eyes

fresh_eyes happy to be here

mountains of north carolina
    Interesting stuff, dsdmom and MargeM. That sounds very different than the Cheney treatment described above - right, people who know about Cheney?
  12. Sushi

Albuquerque
    Yes, this is totally different from Cheney's approach. Very interesting! Let's watch this one.:)

Sushi
  13. calzy

calzy Senior Member

Naples Florida
    Yes you are right Sushi, my best friend was his first stem cell patient. It was cord blood. She was tested after the transplant for xmrv and she was negative. She was very classic cfs, so there is some thought that the virus was knocked out, no one know for sure.

She felt "cured" the first few months, but the gains have slowed down a bit, still doing well, if it really worked her body and system is in a healing stage, and it will be awhile for her system to heal.
  14. mojoey

mojoey Senior Member

XMRV replication is a huge issue with any type of stem cells. Cheney does indeed have his patients get cord blood stem cells from Panama, which lowers the risk versus getting your own stem cells (if you have a retrovirus that is) because of the chance of getting foreign alleles from the donor, but unless those genes mark resistance to XMRV like the HIV-resistant stem cells mentioned above, theoretically tthe retrovirus will still replicate.

to clarify, it has already been scientifically established that the immune system does not reject cord blood stem cells, so matching HLA is not an issue. There have been no cases of graft versus host disease at Panama or Costa Rica. The retroviral replication is my concern.

See more popular forum discussions.