New Atmosphere, New Vision: Gibson and Whittemore Kick Off Invest in ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry reports on Dr. Gibson's introduction and Dr. Whittemore's keynote speech, at the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

New study reports the gut microbiota can modulate serotonin transporter activity.

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by AndyPR, Dec 29, 2016.

1. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

http://neurosciencenews.com/physiology-gut-microorganism-5831/

Study available at http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0169303 - Intestinal serotonin transporter inhibition by Toll-like receptor 2 activation. A feedback modulation

JohnCB, trishrhymes, rosie26 and 4 others like this.
  2. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    A friend of mine has very successfully treated her bipolar I by treating the gut. She has basically been i remission for 2 years now, which is remarkable given that before that she was in and out of hospital a few times a year. So the connection between the gut and serotonin doesn't surprise me at all.

ljimbo423, Sasha and AndyPR like this.
  3. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Moved to s4me.info

Fascinating. Are you able to give us any detail about how she treated the gut?

Was it diet, probiotics, prebiotics, drugs ....

4. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    Almost exclusively diet. I messaged someone about it recently. I will copy the relevant bit here;

Of course she has tried to tell doctors this, but no one is interested. I think they would rather believe she had a spontaneous and inexplicable remission than trust in her daily observations of cause and effect.

jstefl, Solstice, merylg and 3 others like this.
  5. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Moved to s4me.info

Wow, thanks for sharing this, @Cheesus. I hope your friend stays well.

merylg and Cheesus like this.

See more popular forum discussions.