• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New study confirms flu and/or fever in pregnancy linked to autism

natasa778

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/201...er-linked-with-autism-in-pregnancy-study?lite

… “We found almost a twofold increased risk of infantile autism in the child after self-reported infection with influenza virus during pregnancy,” the researchers wrote. Children whose mothers said they had a fever lasting more than a week during pregnancy had triple the risk of autism.

… They also found that women who took certain antibiotics were more likely to have a child with autism, but it’s not clear if it’s the drug itself, or if women who took antibiotics were perhaps sicker than the other women.

“Animal studies suggest that when the mother’s immune system is triggered during pregnancy, such as when she is fighting off an infection… that immune response might affect a child’s developing brain,” Boyle said.

It’s also not clear if there is something special about the influenza virus. “Misreporting of influenza is likely to be considerable; any episode of fever may be mistaken for influenza, and not all women infected with influenza virus might have been aware of this,” the researchers wrote.

maddietod

To me, this is a perfect example of news you can't use. The photo shows a pregnant woman getting vaccinated, with a tag about flu vaccine preventing influenza. So somebody want to sell more flu shots.

Then the study is described, wherein 1% of mothers who self-reported influenza while pregnant had children on the autistic spectrum.

But don't worry because some of autism is genetic - proven by twin studies. If one twin is autistic, the other is likely to be..........but didn't they share the same womb environment? And I start to wonder about identical twins (do they both always have autism?).

But don't worry because 99% of pregnant women with influenza didn't have autistic children!

"News" like this would drive me crazy if I had an autistic child.

natasa778

Yes the actual article is awful, one has to be skilled to read it by weeding out the junk and be left with actual information.

Forebearance

The study itself sounds like some kind of clue about what is going on.
I want more researchers to get interested in the immune system as it relates to autism and ME/CFS.