1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Dr. Kerr, I presume?
Clark Ellis brings us a rare interview with British researcher Dr. Jonathan Kerr who is now living in Colombia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

New sleep meds on the rise??

Discussion in 'Sleep' started by heapsreal, Aug 23, 2013.

1. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Interesting article while searching for new sleep meds http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...5392659897114.html#project=DREAMLANDDRUGS0621
    A new sleep drug by Merck & Co. is expected to gain U.S. approval in the coming months, even as its main competitor is coming under growing scrutiny by regulators and doctors for sometimes-dangerous side effects.

The new drug, known as suvorexant, will affect a different part of the brain than a generation of older medicines such as zolpidem, known as Ambien, which depresses brain activity. The hope is that suvorexant will cause fewer side effects than its older counterparts.

Suvorexant/orexin has been waiting approval for along time now. They seem to be slow in approving this class of meds.

I think they need to come up with a med that has reduced tolerance and can be used for long term insomnia which also help sleep initiation and maintenance. :thumbsup:

2. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    heapsreal

I wish they would approve it but it is going to cost! At least it will be a long time before US insurance will pay for it.

Ambien was really expensive before the generic.

Sushi

3. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    agree sushi, but if it gets approved sooner then the sooner it will go generic. Also i think then there will be a push from other companies to develop new sleep meds, i hope.

See more popular forum discussions.