The Real ME: A Stock Photography Resource for the Media
We’ve all seen them in the news stories about ME/CFS: the guy in a suit at the office, yawning; the beautiful woman sitting at her desk with her immaculate make-up and elegantly coiffed hair, hand to her head and looking slightly pained.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

New, short POTS video from big name docs

Discussion in 'Problems Standing: Orthostatic Intolerance; POTS' started by Sushi, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
  2. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member

S W England
    Thank you @Sushi:bouquet: - what an absolutely fab little film. I am a sufferer and I feel as if I actually understand it now!

Sushi and trishrhymes like this.
  3. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    that's great, Im going to ask my support worker to watch that.

Sushi likes this.
  4. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member

POTS was a major feature of my illness for the first 10 years, or so, of ME. I could only stand for a minute or two before I started get all sorts of "signals" from my body, including tachycardia, that essentially conveyed the message, "If you don't sit down, I will put you down."

According to the video, this "syndrome" didn't even start to get recognized until 1993. It still amazes me that I could describe this in such detail to doctors in the 1980's and they still insisted that nothing was wrong because my blood tests and EKG's were OK. They defaulted to "you're out of shape," even though I had been in excellent shape 6 weeks earlier. It would have made life a lot easier if they could have recognized it and given it a name, even if there was no treatment.

Alisha12, Sushi, Valentijn and 2 others like this.
  5. mango

mango Senior Member

Very informative and helpful, I'll definitely be sharing this one :)

Sushi and trishrhymes like this.
  6. Alisha12

Alisha12

Yes..in the past they were researching about neurocirculatory asthenia in 1940s which resembles to POTS.At least they should have recognised it as similar entity. I think doctors have completely forgot about it which was quite in thing during first world war.

7. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member

It probably goes without saying [but I thought I should say it anyway] that the sensation that I must sit down was more bearable if I kept in motion by walking. I'm sure now that this was because the use of my leg muscles counter-acted the blood pooling in my lower extremities to some degree. Of course, due to the reduced stamina of ME, I couldn't walk for very long, either. All I know is that standing still was much worse than being in motion.

[And, no, exercise neither increased my stamina nor my ability to stand motionless for more than a couple of minutes without feeling awful.]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    halcyon, Alisha12 and trishrhymes like this.

See more popular forum discussions.