1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Lessons from ME/CFS: Finding Meaning in the Suffering
If you're aware of my previous articles here at Phoenix Rising then it's pretty clear that I don't generally spend my time musing upon the philosophy of the disease. I find it better to spend my time reading research and trying my best to break it down to its core elements and write...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

New service for ME is ‘godsend’ (News Article)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Kina, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Kina

Kina Moderation Team Lead

Ontario, Canada

OH arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
  2. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    I agree with your assessment!
  3. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    Sheesh! :rolleyes:
  4. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member

Toronto
    Yes, arrrrgh. It provides good reason to never press like until I've read to the last sentence.
    Bob and peggy-sue like this.
  5. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Is Jim Jones alive and well on PR?

Left Coast
    I'm dumbfounded that idiots still think that is even a viable treatment.

ARGHGHGHGHGHGH!!
    svetoslav80 and peggy-sue like this.
  6. Desdinova

Desdinova Senior Member

USA
    Well we did point out how those with mobility and transportation issues couldn't get treatment or participate in study programs. But still I digress ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..........
    peggy-sue and WillowJ like this.
  7. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Good news for those finding the service useful. Bad news for those who are not and from whom we hear nothing but only presume exist.
    Valentijn likes this.
  8. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    This is the honeymoon period. They have been told they can be helped, but treatment has barely begun. They have been convinced its all worth it. Many of them will not have ME. Many will have PVFS and get better within six months to one year, sometimes two years. Those who recover will be spun as miracle cures for the treatment. Those who do not will be dropped and abandoned.

Does anyone recall my parable on how quackery works?
    SOC, svetoslav80, peggy-sue and 2 others like this.
  9. aimossy

aimossy Senior Member

NZ

what is PVFS?
  10. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    Post Viral Fatigue Syndrome
  11. aimossy

aimossy Senior Member

NZ
    urrrgh im an egg that's actually obvious now.ha
    thanks snow!
  12. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

PVFS = Post viral fatigue syndrome, such as occurs in a normal case of Mono or a bad flu. A percentage go on to develop something like ME or something similar, but we still need more research on this despite the Dubbo studies. Post viral fatigue can last six months, sometimes two years, and rarely for five years. It resolves on its own. ME patients possibly get a touch of it when they get a flu or something and then recover some weeks to months later, but this is not certain. There is too much we do not know.

There is another way to look at this though. ME may just be a more severe form of PVFS. We don't know the exact nature of ME versus PVFS. We don't even understand the full mechanisms involved in garden variety post viral fatigue.

PS What Snow Leopard said. ;)
    peggy-sue and aimossy like this.
  13. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    The quackery usually does seem good at first - patients are reacting positively to someone who understands their symptoms and disability. The practitioners are also validating the experiences of the patients, as well as offering optimism.

But then the bullshiting and torture and brainwashing start. And at some point the patient figures out that, although the practitioners do know about the symptoms, they think they are the result of psychological disorders and/or deconditioning.
    SOC and aimossy like this.
  14. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

BPS lot have been talking about getting the anecdotes they want into the media. If they're promoting their services, they get to choose which patient experiences are heard about.
    Snow Leopard, peggy-sue and Valentijn like this.
  15. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

That is something we can change. It just takes some organizing, and contacts in the local CFS community.
    Valentijn and rosie26 like this.

See more popular forum discussions.