Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

New Scientist: "Tired all the time? Why fatigue isn’t just.." Anybody able to access this article?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by AndyPR, Oct 12, 2016.

1. AndyPR

AndyPR Cookies for Tired Sam

And that is all that is available without an account. Anybody able to access the rest of it?

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg23230950-400-getting-a-fix-on-fatigue/

Joh and Valentijn like this.
  2. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    it sounds and looking at its title like a standard fatigue article rather then one which is refering to ME/CFS

Shawn and AndyPR like this.
  3. JohnCB

JohnCB MEow

England
    I can access the magazine through the local county library that has an arrangement with Zinio.

However the current version at the library is dated 8 October 2016. This edition shows your article as an upcoming feature, so probably in the 15 October edition. From past experience (I hadn't looked for some time until today) it may be another day or two before it is available. It is however not straightforward to copy stuff out of Zinio processed magazines.

@AndyPR You are in the UK, I believe. Does your county library do this service? Here I use my library card number and a PIN number I got by phoning the library to give me e-library access to ebooks and online magazines. If you haven't already looked, I do suggest that you find out.

If you don't have any joy, send me a message back-channel and I will have another look if I can access it but as I said above, I seem to remember it is not easy to copy it this way. I would be reluctant to copy a whole article online but would consider it for a one off private copy if you are not planning to distribute it online..

AndyPR likes this.
  4. AndyPR

Sorry, yes, forgot to mention that I have no proof that it contains anything at all about ME, just curious/suspicious about what the rest of it says.

I'll check into that @JohnCB , thanks for suggesting it.

5. Hip

Hip Senior Member

The New Scientist magazine is found for sale each week in most newsagents that have a reasonable selection of magazines. I will have a look out for the 15 October edition if I can get to a newsagent.

AndyPR likes this.
  6. maddietod

maddietod Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    I'm a subscriber.

The article talks about circadian rhythm disruption first.

Then there's a lengthy section about inflammation and body fat, and conjecture about increased levels of cytokines making you feel tired. Inflammation is also increased by a sedentary lifestyle, poor diet, and normal stress.

Next we get a discussion of low dopamine, and depression making us feel drained.

I don't think any of this is useful to us. They were, however, clearly talking about pervasive fatigue in the general population. They were not talking about people who are ill.

JohnCB, Valentijn, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  7. AndyPR

Awesome, thanks @maddietod , given what was said in the teaser section I was curious where the article was headed.

See more popular forum discussions.