The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

New Scientist: it may be the carbs not the gluten making you ill

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Countrygirl, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    I am posting this here because many/most of us find that foods contain wheat creates various gut problems, and this article in the New Scientists explains that it may not be the gluten that is causing the problem but the fructans.

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...cial&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1510316681

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    lafarfelue, L'engle, Molly98 and 8 others like this.
  2. Diwi9

Diwi9 Senior Member

USA
    Maybe I can reintroduce sourdough toast into my life! XOXO

Molly98 and jpcv like this.
  3. Murph

Murph :)

I have a big problem with fructans (fodmaps) exactly as this study suggests. I set a new record on the fructose breath test!

I can eat gluten and I **really** enjoy eating spelt sourdough bread, which is made with bacteria and I find has very positive effects on my digestion.

lafarfelue, L'engle, Molly98 and 3 others like this.
  4. jpcv

jpcv Senior Member

SE coast, Brazil
    :beer::beer:
    Maybe I can reintroduce :beer::beer::beer: ?????

Molly98 and Diwi9 like this.
  5. redrachel76

redrachel76 Senior Member

Israel
    Thank you for posting this. This article made me realize that I am sensitive to both gluten and fructans. Up till now I didn't know why my digestive system couldn't tolerate so much random stuff like onions even after eliminating gluten.

jpcv, PatJ, Molly98 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Londinium

Londinium Senior Member

Interesting article. Genuine question though: is there any evidence that ME patients are more likely to be sensitive to gluten and/or wheat? ie beyond the 12% cited for the general population?

Molly98 and Countrygirl like this.
  7. Hip

Hip Senior Member

I had lifelong gluten sensitivity, where eating any gluten would rapidly trigger a depressed state lasting for 6 to 8 hours (a common response in gluten sensitive people). But onions and garlic I can eat without problem.

So I would think that although there may be fructan-sensitive people who may mistakenly believe they are gluten intolerant, there are also those who are genuinely gluten intolerant.

Interestingly enough, I lost my gluten sensitivity after developing ME/CFS. That's consistent with the CCC which says that ME/CFS may involve "new sensitivities and allergies and change in status of pre-existing ones".

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    L'engle, PatJ, Learner1 and 2 others like this.
  8. boombachi

boombachi Senior Member

Hampshire, UK
    IBS like symptoms are included in most criteria for diagnosing me/cfs (I believe). I don't know if this has been equated with glutn sensitivity. In my case milk was the biggest problem and most of my problems disappeared after giving up milk and only eating cheese and yogurt very occasionally.

Molly98 likes this.
  9. Hip

Hip Senior Member

It is not in the CDC Fukuda definition of ME/CFS, but is in the CCC definition.

boombachi and jpcv like this.
  10. Londinium

Londinium Senior Member

Ah yes OK, I was aware that gastrointestinal symptoms were in some criteria, just not that they were specifically linked to wheat/gluten.

11. boombachi

boombachi Senior Member

Hampshire, UK
    I think this could be an interesting area to research. It is such a common symptom it could give us valuable clues about what is going on. I know there are researchers looking at gut bacteria but I dont know of any looking specifically at food intolerance.

See more popular forum discussions.