Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

New Scheibenbogen Study - IgGs and SNPs.

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by msf, Aug 15, 2015.

1. msf

msf Senior Member

2. Kyla

Kyla ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ

Canada
  3. msf

msf Senior Member

Thanks, I missed that.

4. Marco

Marco Grrrrrrr!

Near Cognac, France
    Interesting.

5. msf

msf Senior Member

I guess the question is, what is causing the increased levels of cortisol in the ME/CFS patients with COMT mutations?

6. Valentijn

Valentijn WE ARE KINA

I think it's a case of comparing enough things until something shows up. It looks like being Met/Met homozygous for rs4680 resulted in significantly higher cortisol when compared to the heterozygous type, but not when compared alone to the other Val/Val homozygous type. And the mean values were the same for the IgE types, but they're making a big deal out of high out-liers in a combined Met/Met and Met/Val group while sort of ignoring that there were a ton of very low values as well.

On the plus side, the patients had both CCC and Fukuda ME/CFS.

But overall, I don't think they've found anything of particular interest, if anything at all.

Snow Leopard, Hutan and jimells like this.
  7. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    The findings aren't necessarily 'wrong', just not relevant with respect to ME...

The Met/Met allele association with higher cortisol is interesting, but lack of specificity or sensitivity of this finding as a predictor of CFS is a problem. Likewise for the other findings...

Valentijn likes this.
  8. bertiedog

bertiedog Senior Member

South East England, UK
    I'll be honest I am not really understanding this too well but I do know that my result was AA which equates to Val/Val which I don't understand! Can anyone enlighten me?

BTW I have extremely low cortisol, almost Addison's level and am on 6mg Pred daily and I also have a rubbish immune system and pick up frequent viruses.

Pam

9. Valentijn

Valentijn WE ARE KINA

There's not anything you can conclude about that, based on the study. Like @Snow Leopard said, there's not really any relevance to ME/CFS. And there's not any direct relevance to the genotypes either.

See more popular forum discussions.