1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The ePatient Revolution
Ryan Prior shares his experience and his thoughts from attending the Stanford Medicine X Conference as he contemplates the rising of the ePatient Revolution ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

New Research to Explore Role of Online Peer Support on Phoenix Rising Forums

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Phoenix Rising Team, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Roy S

Roy S former DC ME/CFS lobbyist

Illinois, USA
    Is everybody now allowed to give their own perspectives?

2. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    We appear to have veered off-topic...

3. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY

As long as it is done in a respectful way. (IMO - I'm not a moderator)

Valentijn likes this.
  4. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

NZ
    lol

Thanks Firestormm and Bob

I finally know what FWIW means now ! Spent ages trying to work that one out, no success !

We really need an abbreviations thread, yikes. I hadn't come across the IIRC until now, sounds more like a medical abbreviation :D

Bob likes this.
  5. Bob

Bob

South of England

I'm not... ;)

MeSci, Nielk and Firestormm like this.
  6. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Evening Neil,

Don't know quite what your research will make of that little lot (above) but at least it shows we have a good sense of humour :D

7. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    I never could find an internet site to supply the meaning of that one, so you two have done better than me. Thankfully I have a gaming friend who knows all the abbreviations and could tell me what it means.

8. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    I think, though I am not certain, that those of us who tend to have a few tabs open inflate the statistics.

9. Mark

Mark Acting CEO

Sofa, UK
    For some stats like number of views of a particular thread, probably, but I think those particular numbers will be unique visitors, by IP address.

WillowJ likes this.
  10. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    Me too. Im often not here at all when Im logged in.

11. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Doesn't it count you only if you have loaded a page recently? eg, if you load a really long article, then you could count as not being on-line, even while you're still reading it.

12. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    I just use an ordinary search engine. That usually finds the answers very quickly.

13. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

One thing that might be interesting is to try to locate the various IP addresses. I was thinking a break down by country would be interesting.

14. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    Here is one that is a couple of years old. Don't follow the link in it.

rosie26 likes this.
  15. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    for most abbreviations, I find this to be true. For some strange reason, I couldn't find that particular one.

16. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    I'm posting to say that Anna has written to me to ask if she can use a comment of mine, and to say that I am sorry, but I declined. The comment chosen looked, on it's own and out of context, like a seriously prejudiced and uneducated gut response of hatred of all psychiatrists, on the gounds of being psychatrists.
    It was a comment based on the fact that the person supported the bio-psycho-social model, which, I'm afraid to me, renders them unqualified for dealing with PWME.

And yes, it was a grumpy gut response, using a short-cut to make my decision, but PWME have to use a lot of short-cuts!

I felt that if the comment was used, just on its own, not being read by folk who know a bit more about me and my qualifications, it would reflect badly on us all as a community.
    (I have an 2i Hons BSc in Psychology '95 - also from Dundee uni, Anna. A very, very highly cognitively biased department, which subscribes to dualism. Fortunately, I did a couple of very good courses with the OU first, and had had a professional background in parmacological research (also at Dundee).
    It was highly amusing arguing with Alan Kennedy over the existance of the "mind" and "rational logic", over my enthusiasm for the brain and the importance of emotions and unconscious motivation.
    He was the one who got angrier and angrier and angrier, (heehee - emotions!) while I remained calm. Then he got his own back by refusing to let me do a PhD - but at least he admitted it was because "the department did not have any lecturers suitably qualified to supervise me". They didn't have any lecturers suitably qualified to teach me a BSc either, but it didn't stop them taking my Science degree fees.)

roxie60 and MeSci like this.
  17. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    I had a request to use two comments and said yes. One of them demonstrated scientific curiosity and a desire for scientific rigour, and the other was humorous, so I don't think Anna is choosing comments in a way designed to make us look bad. Maybe yours would have illustrated how frustrated our situation can make us, but I understand your reluctance. I might have felt the same.

I did an OU Psych course - Social Psychology: Personal Lives, Social Worlds - and my font has changed since I pasted that and I can't change it!

It covered a broad range of psych theory including Freudian BS but also biological psychology, which I liked very much!

Valentijn likes this.
  18. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    I'm keen to support this endeavour, it was a difficult decision!

This is the comment.

"Just a shame he's a psychiatrist who doesn't know what science is and who supports "evidence"-based medicine, as opposed to biologically based medicine. He doesn't understand enough to be able to criticise PACE - in fact, he supports it. I don't trust him one iota"

What do you think, MeSci?

I'm quite happy to discuss this here.

The best course I ever did was the OU's Biology: Brain and Behavior, a course specifically designed to give psychologists enough basic scientific knowledge to be able to understand Gerald Edelman's theory of consciousness and Neural Darwinism.

I had such high hopes for Psychology as a proper science after that course - but it is taking the rest of the world and academia in general an awfully long time to catch up with the OU.:cry:

MeSci likes this.
  19. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    My initial thoughts are that I would be quite happy for this to be quoted apart from the last sentence, as it rather negates the emphasis on scientific rigour that precedes it! It's the sort of thing I might say too, but would hesitate to type on a forum, although I probably have done so in the heat of the moment sometimes.

I wanted to do Brain and Behaviour but was deterred by the animal experimentation. Luckily I was able to take the module 'Issues in Brain and Behaviour' at Masters level with no requirement for experimentation, and if I recall correctly it was very human-focused.

20. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    I did not harm the woodlice I put in the runway to see which way they would turn at the end, they all survived. Honest!

I'm aware of your strong feelings about animal experimentation, I do understand how, in so many ways we are different to other animals (as all animals are to each other - I don't give humans any special place apart from being the most destructive species to have existed) but it was that course that showed me how much alike we all are too, particularly in behaviour.
    Not so much for drug experimentation and biochemical-systems!
    I really see tissue culture as being the way forward for that. :)

Thanks for your opinion! I think I agree with you about perhaps it just being that last sentence that looks "iffy".
    But I was feeling "Iffy" at the time.
    (Don't tell Grumpy - he'll get jealous.)

See more popular forum discussions.