The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

New research - possible solution for autoimmune diseases?

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Marky90, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Marky90

Marky90 Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance

MEMum, Battery Muncher, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  2. roller

roller wiggle jiggle

rosie26 and Marky90 like this.
  3. 5150

5150 Senior Member

Sounds like a good forward movement.

Trials starting in 3 years.
    I will do my best to be here for it, but we long-timers are dying with regularity.
    Therefore, 3 years sounds like 10 , and reality is: by the time it goes the gamut, it likely will be 10 years.:jaw-drop:
    Used to be Judy Mikovits was in charge of new drug development. Don't know who's doing that job these days.

Marky90, rosie26 and ahmo like this.
  4. shannah

shannah Senior Member

Published in Nature this month

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v530/n7591/full/nature16962.html

From an article printed in the University of Calgary paper:

"Santamaria’s study shows that nanoparticles (particles thousands of times smaller than a typical cell), decorated with protein targets acting as "bait" for disease-causing white blood cells, can be used to reprogram them to suppress the disease they intended to cause. This new class of drugs (nanomedicines called Navacims) exploits a naturally occurring process, previously unknown to science, that is wired into our immune system to protect us against autoimmune disease. "

http://www.ucalgary.ca/utoday/issue...ver-new-approach-treating-autoimmune-diseases

5. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Looks like Dr Pere Santamaria already had success in curing murine type 1 diabetes with this nanoparticle approach back in 2010: see this article: Novel nanoparticle vaccine cures type 1 diabetes in mice.

Some excerpts:

Marky90 and rosie26 like this.
  6. Justin30

Justin30 Senior Member

Marky90 and rosie26 like this.

See more popular forum discussions.