• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New research on treating migraines with ketone supplementation

acouchy

Unwilling ME/CFS Participant Since 1996
Was not sure where to post this. Hopefully this is the correct location. Not directly related to ME/CFS but many of us suffer from headaches and migraines. When I read this article I thought this could be the connection.

From the article...
"Increasing evidence suggests an energy deficit disorder exists in migraine, the researchers note. By supplying ketones as an alternative fuel to glucose, several deleterious components of the deficit may be avoided."

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle...922_mscpedit&uac=202281AN&impID=1439333&faf=1

Gives me hope. :)

trishrhymes

Fascinating article. I gather a lot of us suffer from migraines. It's a tiny pilot study but looks promising. Good to see they are doing a bigger double blind trial.

I wonder whether it would help other ME symptoms. The bit about energy deficit disorder rings ME bells.

acouchy

Unwilling ME/CFS Participant Since 1996
Fascinating article. I gather a lot of us suffer from migraines. It's a tiny pilot study but looks promising. Good to see they are doing a bigger double blind trial.

I wonder whether it would help other ME symptoms. The bit about energy deficit disorder rings ME bells.

I tried the south beach diet many years ago to lose weight after I was misdiagnosed with depression and put on antidepressants that made me fat. At the time, I did not realize the first portion of it was ketogenic. I only lasted a few weeks because it was so difficult to eat out and stay true to it. Strange thing was around that time I went into remission from my ME/CFS for a month or so. I felt fantastic. I have always wondered if it was connected. With all the talk of our mitochondria lately it makes you wonder if they are on the right track. It would be so great if we could take a ketone supplement.

Hugo

I done a ketogenic diet for a year or so and then continued with a much less strict version of it. It could be somehting to the migraine study since I didnt have that during that time but I have it now (once a week). But I think that is more about the lyme I got a couple of years ago. I think the diet is good for weight and rather good for food sensitivities. But its by no means a cure for ME in my case but it had som stabilizing effects especially with my gut.

The bHB drink is something I would like to try.

Last edited: