The Real ME: A Stock Photography Resource for the Media
We’ve all seen them in the news stories about ME/CFS: the guy in a suit at the office, yawning; the beautiful woman sitting at her desk with her immaculate make-up and elegantly coiffed hair, hand to her head and looking slightly pained.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

New Research Indicates Alzheimer's and Other Neurodegenerative Diseases Are Contagious

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by A.B., Sep 25, 2016.

1. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

ME/CFS is another illness with leaky gut and dysbiosis.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...rative-diseases-are-contagious-300333155.html

leela, Mel9, ahmo and 7 others like this.
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Its about time someone is looking at this. I was asking about this decades ago, and everybody said "no". I was interested because nobody was looking. This is a press release though, so we cannot be sure of the information. Its also likely that bacteriophages are indeed infectious, but what that actually means is highly speculative at this point.

One of the questions I asked long ago, of DeMeirlier if my memory is accurate, is could bacteriophages infect mitochondria. He said he had looked (presumably under an electron microscope) and not found any signs of this. This hypothesis is unlikely, but I have not fully ruled it out.

leela, Mel9, OhShoot and 5 others like this.
  3. Marky90

Marky90 Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance

What part of their research indicated that? Had a look but could not find..

4. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

It's a press release that exaggerates a lot. But it's an interesting hypothesis and it's good that bacteriophages are being looked at.

Hutan, Glycon, TiredSam and 1 other person like this.
  5. Glycon

Glycon World's Most Dangerous Hand Puppet

ON, Canada
    This kind of language makes it sound super-flaky, though:

6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

Aha, they found that if you give rats the Russian jungle juice 'bacteriophage cocktail'(shaken not stirred) they show typical signs of Alzheimer's like weight loss, messy hair, and decreased activity!!!

If I were a lab rat and I was injected with a Russian cocktail I think I would probably be off my food and forget to do my hair and lie about. But clearly this proves that bacteriophages cause rheumatoid arthritis and Parkinson's disease.

Give me a break. Bacteriophages in the gut are this week's trendy topic. Biomedcentral journals are places for publishing trendy topics so that the publishers can rake in a few quid. They are designed specifically for profound scholars with more than 90 papers so it must be good, even if they are mostly read by desperate post docs who need to get ten publications to have a chance of another job.

It is such a pity that science has been replaced by tat. But at least I don't have to battle with it any more.

Izola, Dufresne, seunderwood and 7 others like this.
  7. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Yea, I didn't look at the paper until I had actually posted.

I remain curious about bacteriophages: http://www.ifr.ac.uk/news/latest-news/2016/07/do-answers-mecfs-lie-within-our-gut/

8. Glycon

Glycon World's Most Dangerous Hand Puppet

ON, Canada
    It's just 'cause you're not PROFOUND enough! :D

Marky90 likes this.
  9. Marky90

Marky90 Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance

Hahaha yes.. who would imagine,@Jonathan Edwards :rolleyes:

It seems to be a recurring theme that something is tried on rats-> subsequently they perform less good on some type of mundane task -> the researchers propose something like the above -> journalists write sensational headlines -> then the years pass, and nothing come of it, except the ones involved are payed - and do it again.

Mel9, barbc56, OhShoot and 2 others like this.
  10. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
    Why are phages so exciting these days? The role of bacteriophage T12 in scarlet fever exotoxin has been known for decades, for example.

11. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

OMG, not messy hair syndrome! I need to take to my bed. Oh wait, that's where I am now. Today is one of those days where I will probably be staying in bed most of the time, messy hair or not!

Izola and Mel9 like this.

See more popular forum discussions.