1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

new publication from dong % silverman

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by Eric Johnson from I&I, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Eric Johnson from I&I

Eric Johnson from I&I Senior Member

J Virol. 2009 Nov 11. [Epub ahead of print]
    Androgen Stimulates Transcription and Replication of XMRV (Xenotropic Murine Leukemia Virus-Related Virus).

Dong B, Silverman RH.

Department of Cancer Biology, Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195.

XMRV is a gammaretrovirus originally identified in a subset of prostate cancer patients. Because androgens stimulate prostate tumors and some retroviruses, we investigated effects of dihydrotestosterone (DHT) on XMRV transcription and replication. Transcription from the XMRV U3 region was stimulated up to 2-fold by DHT, but only in cells containing a functional androgen receptor. Mutations in the glucocorticoid response element (GRE) of XMRV impaired basal transcription and androgen responsiveness. Furthermore, DHT stimulated XMRV replication by 3-fold, whereas androgen inhibitors (casodex and flutamide) suppressed viral growth up to 3-fold. Findings suggest that integration of the XMRV LTR into host DNA could impart androgen stimulation on cellular genes.

PMID: 19906923 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
  2. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    Interesting - it sounds like androgen inhibitors could be a treatment. Would that only be in males?
  3. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

Excerpts from full text

Note: WPI study is cited in the 2nd sentence of the article!!

4. Alice Band

Alice Band PWME - ME by Ramsay

UK
    I wonder if this explains why women with PCOS & CFS seem to go together in some women

<snip from PCOS description>

Another cardinal feature of PCOS is increased androgen (male hormone) production. Therefore, women with PCOS almost always have facial hirsutism (excessive hair) and frequently have acne as well.
  5. Advocate

Advocate Senior Member

U.S.A.
    Hi Kim,

I couldn't find the full text anywhere. Where did you get it? Did they cite the Mikovits article in the references at the end?

Hi Eric,

It would be wonderful if you (or anyone) would explain in detail how they did this in the lab.
  6. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

Hi Advocate. Here's the link

Androgen Stimulates Transcription and Replication of XMRV (Xenotropic Murine Leukemia Virus-Related Virus).
    Dong B, Silverman RH.

Department of Cancer Biology, Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195
  7. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

Full text by subscription

Hi Advocate, I have library privileges through my university that allows me to access many full text articles. This was one of them. The link that islandfinn posted only brings me to the abstract that Eric posted in the first message above.

Yes. Below is the reference. This would make it the first time the article was cited in another paper. Exciting!

The details are in the article. I'll pull the article back up again and post some of these another post
  8. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

Lab Procedures

Aftermath? I hope quoting like this doesn't violate copyrights. Let me know if I need to modify/delete these.

See more popular forum discussions.