• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New Protozoa: Possible Cause of ME/CFS. An Interview with Dr.Steven Fry.

sianrecovery

CJB, the reason I went to Fry was biofilm, and I had had such a horrible time with dental infections. I completely understand how you feel Gamboa, I had been doing daily subcutaneous injections of magnesium as recommended by an ME doc prior to seeing him. It doesnt mean she's wrong, and he's right - its a different perspective - one was looking at ME from the point of view of mito dysfunction, the other from an infectious disease/biofilm paradigm. I often think of the metaphor of the blind men trying to describe an elephant, each touching a leg or a ear etc - at best, partial truths. We live the complexity in our bodies daily.

Overstressed

I wonder if this Protozoa could not be the co-infection where Dr.Ruscetti talks about. I remember him saying at the Symposium in Brussels that a (retro)virus infection never comes alone. Retrovirologists kept saying that the symptoms could not explain a retroviral origin. Perhaps, if you add this Protozoa, you get a whole different picture ?

On the other hand, the retrovirus might be easier to treat, the protozoa would be very bad news, since these are very very hard to treat, and even perhaps not at all.

Best regards,
OS.

sianrecovery

Protozoa are hard to treat, but as Fry said when I saw him, they are also slow to mutate - being so much larger and more complex than viruses. I've always thought its harder to hit a moving target...

wallace

wow, tanniust, that sounds pretty unpleasant. I've never heard a direct reference to the colour of proto, but if you go on to you tube, and type in biofilm you might get some videos that help. I will ask that question of some of his other patients.
Thanks for tip on authors Wallace - I need some inspiration, will check them out.
Frou frou - no, he really doesnt like red meat.
Xrunner - I cant remember if you and I have already debated this - I have very low levels of everything, endocrine hormones etc etc - I am torn between my body is downregulating processes to impede the infection, and thinking that the infection itself has downregulated it for its own purposes. Any thoughts? When I saw Dr Fry he had some interesting ideas - not tested, as he hastened to say - that proto may have had some symbiotic function in an evolutionary sense, perhaps as a kind of antifreeze. I was intrigued, but was out of time to discuss further.

Has anybody answered you on this Sianrecovery? I found it difficult to understand what you were getting at......

I think its interesting that I hear Dr F is putting some of his patients on a low raw food diet. That should boost the immune system but as I know its a hard diet to keep to. By saying that fasting hits the prozoal hard he is also by implication advocating fasting as well. Raw food mono fasting etc These are things we can all pursue in our own ways

wallace

When thinking of diet. A raw food diet is supposed to be anti parasitical. This reminds of a John Wyndham novel! Its definitely a battle!!! On parasites this is from 2011 betterhealth guy.com:

wallace

Dr. Dietrich Klinghardt - Parasites
  • Dr. Klinghardt has found immense success in treating parasites as a focus. Many that think Lyme is their problem actually are suffering from parasites. The natural sequence is to treat the parasites first and then treat the Lyme. When this is done, years of antibiotic therapy turns into weeks or months.
  • Parasite patients often express the psyche of the parasites - sticky, clingy, impossible to tolerate - but a wonderful human being is behind all of that.
  • We are all a composite of many personalities. Chronic infections outnumber our own cells by 10:1. We are 90% "other" and 10% "us". Our consciousness is a composite of 90% microbes and 10% us. Our thinking, feeling, creativity, and expression are 90% from the microbes within us. Patients often think, crave, and behave as if they are the parasite. Our thinking is shaded by the microbes thinking through us. The food choices, behavioral choices, and who we like is the thinking of the microbes within us expressing themselves.
  • Patients will reject all treatments that affect the issue that requires treating. Patients will not guide themselves to health when the microbes have taken over.
  • Viruses in the nervous system are likely not the cause of CFS. They are certainly often present, but when treated, the patient may only get a little better. The two main causes are parasites (mainly lungworm) and chronic nasal staph infection. These nasal infections enter the hypothalamus which then leads to suppression of MSH. One's level of fatigue and level of MSH are directly related. MSH is depressed by bacteria and mycotoxins.
  • Parasite treatment may be needed for 6 months to a year.
  • Parasites induce changes in our system to make us a comfortable host.
  • Natural deworming treatments such as Hulda Clark formulations have been weak and disappointing.
  • Mimosa pudica powder is an Ayurvedic herb that is 30 times stronger than the best medical drug. Starting with 1/2 teaspoon twice a day two days a week and working up to 1 teaspoon daily for 3 months.
  • Can use rectal application of 1 capsule of BioPure Freeze-dried garlic, 100mg artemisinin, 1 teaspoon phospholipids with pure water in a bulb syringe from the local drugstore. Make the mix liposomal using the ultrasonic method used with the Klinghardt Cocktail. Hold it. This cleans the rectum and then gets absorbed such that many start to see visible evidence of worm elimination. A good first step in parasite elimination.
  • Parasite treatment is best done with concurrent colonic therapy. 2 colonics per week; 1 day after the other.
  • Nail biting is a sign of parasites.
  • Alinia and Albendazole both cross the blood-brain barrier.
  • Deworming is significant in ASD kids. Every biofilm has worm DNA in it.
  • The more you deworm, the longer you live and the healthier you are.
Dr. Simon Yu - Parasites
  • When the latest medical therapies fail, think dental issues and parasites.
  • Dr. Yu uses EAV testing / Acupuncture Meridian Assessment to gain information about stressors in the body.
  • Unsuspected dental problems may be a significant factor impacting health - amalgams, root canals, TMJ, galvanism, implants, heavy metals, bonding materials, metal allergies, and microorganisms.
  • Dr. Yu sees amazing shifts in EAV testing results after parasite treatment. He rarely uses antibiotics.
  • Strongyloides is a common microfilarial worm. Could it be to blame for brain lesions? CCSVI?
  • Cancer may be related to dental issues, parasites, heavy metals, and unresolved emotions.
  • Most parasites are outside of the intestinal tract. They are deceptive, adaptive, and difficult to eradicate.
  • Parasites bring bacteria, viruses, and fungi with them.
  • Deworming horses regularly is known to increase their lifespan. Deworming is a good anti-aging therapy.
  • Parasites are like your children that don't leave the house.
  • You can get parasites from inhaling parasite eggs.
  • Dr. Yu does not put people on nutritional supplements until the parasites are purged.
  • Parasites can control your mind.
  • Clove oil may be helpful. Black Walnut, Wormwood, Artemisia, and Citrus Seed may be useful.
  • Dr. Yu is not convinced that zappers will work for parasites.
  • He uses longer, higher doses of anti-parasite medications than what is described in the PDR. He also uses combination therapy.

sianrecovery

I read the Klinghart thing on Scott's website Wallace, and to be honest, it really pissed me off - do we need another doc characterising physical illness with spurious psychological associations - ie, that clingy, need dig which is his second point - I have parasites for sure, but am neither clingy or needy and would never consult with a doc prepared to characterise a whole patient group on the basis on some bullshit generalisation. Apols to all Klinghart fans in the house, but thats how I feel.

What I was asking xrunner his views on - and I put it badly - do our systems downregulate in order to minimise the damage from long term infections (of any sort) or do the bugs mess up our systems, either to improve their own survival, or as an non-adaptive result of their actions? And to what extend do genetic conditions, inc HPU and pyroluria, methylation blocks, mean that those of us who end up with ME also seem to end up with a very high incidence of long term infections? Which is chicken, which is egg? Which takes priorty in terms of treatment?
Excuse me if I sound grumpy - I am - just discovered a huge mold growth in the kitchen - sighs.

wallace

wallace

For me Myhills assertion that patients cannot get well unless there are on the paleo diet is completely unproven. She turns an hypothesis into a fact! She needs to be way more cautious in making these type of claims. When I heard her at a conference I thought I was listening to a salesperson selling their wares.....!

CJB

Dr. Dietrich Klinghardt - Parasites
  • <snip>
  • Parasite patients often express the psyche of the parasites - sticky, clingy, impossible to tolerate - but a wonderful human being is behind all of that.
  • We are all a composite of many personalities. Chronic infections outnumber our own cells by 10:1. We are 90% "other" and 10% "us". Our consciousness is a composite of 90% microbes and 10% us. Our thinking, feeling, creativity, and expression are 90% from the microbes within us. Patients often think, crave, and behave as if they are the parasite. Our thinking is shaded by the microbes thinking through us. The food choices, behavioral choices, and who we like is the thinking of the microbes within us expressing themselves.
  • Patients will reject all treatments that affect the issue that requires treating. Patients will not guide themselves to health when the microbes have taken over.<snip>

The microbes made me do it.

CJB

I don't think you meant "McDonald's diet" in the way I'm imagining? Burgers and fries? Because I've tried that one....:(

Wayne

LOL - Good one CJB! :D Got my day started out with a good chuckle. Priceless!

This thread reminds me of an article I read a few days ago, which sort of made me do a double take. Still don't quite know what to make of it. The section below is just part of the article. The full article is at this link:

By Jon Bardin

July 6, 2012, 10:48 p.m.

Los Angeles Times

A wily parasite well known for influencing the behavior of its animal hosts appears to play a troubling role in humans, increasing the risk of suicide among women who are infected, new research shows.

Chances are you or someone you know has been infiltrated by the parasite, called Toxoplasma gondii. Researchers estimate that T. gondii is carried by 10% to 20% of Americans, who can get it by changing litter used by infected cats or eating undercooked meat from an animal carrying the bug.

Despite its prevalence in humans, the protozoan is most famous for the strange effect it has on the brains of rats and mice.

The parasite's optimal host is the cat — it can fully complete its reproductive cycle only in the feline intestinal tract. So T. gondii has developed an ingenious, and as yet unexplained, mechanism for ensuring survival: It turns rodents into willing cat food.

When a rat or a mouse is infected, it suddenly flips from being petrified of cats to being attracted to them. Studies have shown that the cells in the rodent brain that regulate sexual arousal become active when mice and rats get a whiff of cat urine, suggesting the smell turns them on. As a result, they drop their guard, the cats eat them — and the parasite wins the day, reproducing at will.

sianrecovery

whoa - that mouse fancying cats thing is messed up.....

totally with you Wallace on the paleo diet thing - I am so sick of people making unsubstantiated claims to legitmise diets on the basis of what early man ate - because they invariably misread the archaeological record for to support their pet theories. As for the blood typing, metabolic diets - show me the evidence.

xrunner

mean that those of us who end up with ME also seem to end up with a very high incidence of long term infections? Which is chicken, which is egg? Which takes priorty in terms of treatment?
Excuse me if I sound grumpy - I am - just discovered a huge mold growth in the kitchen - sighs.

I'm not sure Sian. Personally, the treatments that have helped me the most have been focused on removing pathogens.
I have never responded much to other types of treatments, like detox, minerals/vitamins antioxidant or hormonal supplementation. I also respond well to things that reduce inflammation but in this case the effect is not permanent. Only anti-microbials have produced permanent positive effects on me.
Sorry about your mold problem, I had one last year myself and it was a pain to remedy.

xrunner

• Patients will reject all treatments that affect the issue that requires treating. Patients will not guide themselves to health when the microbes have taken over.
  • [/quote]
I found this concept troubling.

In part because it reminds me that it took me years to get to the lifestyle and treatments that helped, usually the cheapest and simplest of all those I tried.
And when I think about it I still can't believe I've thrown away years in endless useless treatments. Was it the microbes then that made me choose the wrong ones?

Secondly because I clearly noticed a change in my personality particularly as I got much better over the past year, as I kind of gradually switched from an A type back to a B type person, which I used to be long before I got ill.

I also noticed that this illness has affected my discipline from the start particularly with regard to compliance with treatment and lifestyle. By nature I've always been quite disciplined but takes me much more effort and not always with success.

It's certainly making me think.

wallace

For me dr k is briliant but erratic. I DONT trust Art,his muscle testing for example. But i never laugh at him!!!!!!!

.Possibly our pets are making us ill???????

adreno

PR activist
I found this concept troubling.
Yes, it's complete nonsense. We don't develop a hive mind with parasites, or merge consciousness in any way. Can't believe anyone would even suggest such nonsense.