• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New paper on oxidative stress and mito. injury in CFS, Gulf War Illness, autism, etc

richvank

Hi, all.

Beatrice Golomb, at the Univ. of California--San Diego medical school, has just published a paper
in Nature on the above subject. I'm very happy to see this, and have written her to that effect.

The full paper can be found here, and the abstract is pasted below:

http://precedings.nature.com/documents/6847/version/1/files/npre20126847-1.pdf

Note that Dick Deth's autism model paper is cited as reference 103, and Sarah Myhill's CFS mitochondrial
paper is cited as reference 172.

I met Beatrice some years ago at meetings of the U.S. Gulf War Illness research advisory
committee in Wash., D.C. and spoke to them about glutathione depletion at that time. She is
also known for her work on studying the adverse effects of statin drugs.

I think this is an important paper, which hopefully will attract more attention in the research
community to oxidative stress and mito dysfunction in CFS and the other disorders she discusses.
Oxidative stress and mito. dysfunction are important elements of the Glutathione Depletion--Methylation
Cycle Block hypothesis, which I have proposed to explain the pathogenesis and pathophysiology of ME/CFS.
More on that can be found in the General Wiki section of these forums, and in the video and
pdf slides (available below the video) at this website:

http://iaomt.media.fnf.nu/2/skovde_2011_me_kroniskt_trotthetssyndrom/$%7Bweburl%7D

Abstract: Background: Overlapping chronic multisymptom illnesses (CMI) include Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), fibromyalgia, irritable bowel syndrome, multiple chemical sensitivity, and Gulf War illness (GWI), and subsets of autism spectrum disorder (ASD). GWI entails a more circumscribed set of experiences that may provide insights of relevance to overlapping conditions. Objectives: To consolidate evidence regarding a role for oxidative stress and mitochondrial dysfunction (OSMD), as primary mediators in CMI, using GWI as a departure point. Methods: Exposure relations, character, timecourse and multiplicity of symptoms, and objective correlates of GWI are compared to expectation for OSMD. Objective correlates of OSMD in GWI and overlapping conditions are examined. Discussion: OSMD is an expected consequence of known GWI exposures; is compatible with symptom characteristics observed; and accords with objective markers and health conditions linked to GWI, extending to autoimmune disease and infection. Emergent triangulating evidence directly supports OSMD in multisymptom overlap CMI conditions, with similarities to, and diagnosed at elevated rates in, GWI, suggesting a common role in each. Conclusions: GWI is compatible with a paradigm by which uncompensated exposure to oxidative/nitrative stressors accompanies and triggers mitochondrial dysfunction, cell energy compromise, and multiple downstream effects such as vulnerability to autoantibodies. This promotes a profile of protean symptoms with variable latency emphasizing but not confined to energy-demanding post-mitotic tissues, according with (and accounting for) known properties of multisystem overlap conditions. This advances understanding of GWI; health conditions attending GWI at elevated rates; and overlap conditions like CFS and ASD, providing prospects for vulnerability assessment, mitigation of progression, treatment, and future prevention with implications germane to additive and excessive environmental oxidative stressor exposures in the civilian setting.

Best regards,

Rich

aquariusgirl

hi
I know this post doesn't belong on this thread.. but I'm too tired to search for the right thread.

Rich, I PM'd you about this. Regarding the debate over the relative merits of B12 hydroxocobalamin vs. methylcobalamin supplementation, have you considered that many of us may have a major lithium deficiency & since lithium is needed to transport B12, this could be another bottleneck?

Caveat: this paper, which i googled at random & may or may not have good info, says that you shouldn't take lithium if you have renal insufficiency & sodium deficiency.

http://lithiumloveslife.com/?page_id=14

I seem to recall UTMs or hair tests showing me dumping potassium & sodium. What fun.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Thanks Rich for pointing this out, It's a fantastically good read and brought so much together in my mind - i have had the Acumen Mito profile test through Dr Myhill and this paper really helped me to make more sense of it, especially where they talk about gene expression being changed (i have a blockage in the expression of my MnSODase gene) It also helped me to understnad how it all links in with the part of the test that show cell free DNA result, and this paper talks about apoptosis and necrosis and symptom severity.

I can see that all the things they discuss are going on in me and im glad i have the knowledge npow so that i can at the very least attempt to help my body by taking lots of antioxidants, VitD, looking at methylation issues etc to stop any further progression - leading to autoimmune illness, cardiac disease etc (including also pacing, resting)

I'm not that scientifically minded (you may have all noticed) but i found the paper quite ok to follow.
why isnt this all being take more seriously?

Freddd

Hi, all.

Beatrice Golomb, at the Univ. of California--San Diego medical school, has just published a paper
in Nature on the above subject. I'm very happy to see this, and have written her to that effect.

The full paper can be found here, and the abstract is pasted below:

http://precedings.nature.com/documents/6847/version/1/files/npre20126847-1.pdf

Note that Dick Deth's autism model paper is cited as reference 103, and Sarah Myhill's CFS mitochondrial
paper is cited as reference 172.

I met Beatrice some years ago at meetings of the U.S. Gulf War Illness research advisory
committee in Wash., D.C. and spoke to them about glutathione depletion at that time. She is
also known for her work on studying the adverse effects of statin drugs.

I think this is an important paper, which hopefully will attract more attention in the research
community to oxidative stress and mito dysfunction in CFS and the other disorders she discusses.
Oxidative stress and mito. dysfunction are important elements of the Glutathione Depletion--Methylation
Cycle Block hypothesis, which I have proposed to explain the pathogenesis and pathophysiology of ME/CFS.
More on that can be found in the General Wiki section of these forums, and in the video and
pdf slides (available below the video) at this website:

http://iaomt.media.fnf.nu/2/skovde_2011_me_kroniskt_trotthetssyndrom/$%7Bweburl%7D

Abstract: Background: Overlapping chronic multisymptom illnesses (CMI) include Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), fibromyalgia, irritable bowel syndrome, multiple chemical sensitivity, and Gulf War illness (GWI), and subsets of autism spectrum disorder (ASD). GWI entails a more circumscribed set of experiences that may provide insights of relevance to overlapping conditions. Objectives: To consolidate evidence regarding a role for oxidative stress and mitochondrial dysfunction (OSMD), as primary mediators in CMI, using GWI as a departure point. Methods: Exposure relations, character, timecourse and multiplicity of symptoms, and objective correlates of GWI are compared to expectation for OSMD. Objective correlates of OSMD in GWI and overlapping conditions are examined. Discussion: OSMD is an expected consequence of known GWI exposures; is compatible with symptom characteristics observed; and accords with objective markers and health conditions linked to GWI, extending to autoimmune disease and infection. Emergent triangulating evidence directly supports OSMD in multisymptom overlap CMI conditions, with similarities to, and diagnosed at elevated rates in, GWI, suggesting a common role in each. Conclusions: GWI is compatible with a paradigm by which uncompensated exposure to oxidative/nitrative stressors accompanies and triggers mitochondrial dysfunction, cell energy compromise, and multiple downstream effects such as vulnerability to autoantibodies. This promotes a profile of protean symptoms with variable latency emphasizing but not confined to energy-demanding post-mitotic tissues, according with (and accounting for) known properties of multisystem overlap conditions. This advances understanding of GWI; health conditions attending GWI at elevated rates; and overlap conditions like CFS and ASD, providing prospects for vulnerability assessment, mitigation of progression, treatment, and future prevention with implications germane to additive and excessive environmental oxidative stressor exposures in the civilian setting.

Best regards,

Rich

Hi Rich,

I have dealt directly with one person with Gulf War Illness and they responded very well to the active b12 protocol, with no observable differences compared to what we see here every day. Howver we did not stay in contact long enough for co-morbidities to be exposed so long term outcome is unknown. It didn't seem any different than any other intial stessors. Very interesting.