• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New paper from the Netherlands: the treatment of CFS

A.B.

Coincidentally psychotherapy and placebo work less the more objective and "hard" the outcome measures are. In cancer, they have no effect whatsoever on survival. There isn't a lot of room for interpreting whether someone is dead or not.

Aurator

There isn't a lot of room for interpreting whether someone is dead or not.
Frankly, even if ME patients did die at the end of the study, I can't help thinking the psychs would find a way of putting some kind of posiitve spin on it: e.g. that your death demonstrated the ultimate danger of having an oversolicitous "significant other".

Countrygirl

[QUOTE="A.B., There isn't a lot of room for interpreting whether someone is dead or not.[/QUOTE]

The DWP (Department of Works and Pensions) would disagree with you. They wrote to a friend with ME to inform him that his 'Post-Vival Syndrome' was not of sufficient severity to warrant an award of sickness benefit.

Last edited:

Esther12

Translation: partners of patients who are really really sick treat them better and they are less likely to recover.

Comment: So what?

That was my thought too. Anyone seen the full paper to see if the accounted for this in their analysis anywhere?

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Translation: partners of patients who are really really sick treat them better and they are less likely to recover.

PS Good on the partners of these patients!

A severely-ill sufferer on another forum who had spent thousands of pounds trying everything she could find and ended up worse, and who had been vehemently against psychological treatments, was taken in by another psychoquack and persuaded that her husband was keeping her ill by looking after her and being supportive and sympathetic. o_O Not content with that, the psych persuaded her to leave the marital home temporarily and get a flat on her own. :eek:

Who would have predicted that she would have got worse, been unable to look after herself and had to go through all the subsequent exertion, stress and cost of re-selling the flat and moving back home? :(

Well...I think pretty-much everyone on the forum. But what do we know...?

CantThink

The DWP (Department of Works and Pensions) would disagree with you. They wrote to a friend with ME to inform him that his 'Post-Vival Syndrome' was not of sufficient severity to warrant an award of sickness benefit.

I knew someone who had acromegaly and pancreatic cancer. He was denied benefits because he was not sick enough to qualify, and died 3 weeks later. :bang-head:

Mij

I knew someone who had acromegaly and pancreatic cancer. He was denied benefits because he was not sick enough to qualify, and died 3 weeks later. :bang-head:

This is terrible. I would think that just a diagnosis of pancreatic cancer, which has a very poor prognosis would qualify him for benefits. Not sick enough? What does that have to do with it?

CantThink

This is terrible. I would think that just a diagnosis of pancreatic cancer, which has a very poor prognosis would qualify him for benefits. Not sick enough? What does that have to do with it?

I guess they deemed him well enough to work!!! It really sums up the system. If it won't support someone like him... I just don't know who will qualify.

user9876

PS Good on the partners of these patients!

An alternative translation would be peoples partners attitudes help reflect on how they can be persuaded to fill out surveys saying they feel better after CBT.

user9876

Coincidentally psychotherapy and placebo work less the more objective and "hard" the outcome measures are. In cancer, they have no effect whatsoever on survival. There isn't a lot of room for interpreting whether someone is dead or not.

But they have tried to claim psychotherapy helps with cancer survival rates. I believe the original research included an outlier that skewed the mean but not the median so they only published the mean.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/a-formal-request-for-retraction-of-a-cancer-article/
http://dcscience.net/coyne-psych-bul-07.pdf

Countrygirl

I guess they deemed him well enough to work!!! It really sums up the system. If it won't support someone like him... I just don't know who will qualify.

There was a report yesterday about a woman who phoned the DWP to inform them that she had just been given a diagnosis of cancer. The response was, 'So what?' Then she was asked if she was claiming under the 'special rules', so she agreed to do this. Then she was told that this meant she would have to die within six months and if she didn't they would prosecute her. Ian Duncan-Smith, meanwhile, was reported yesterday as saying withdrawing peoples' benefits was a 'compassionate' act by the Tory government. The UK is certainly a scary place to live if you are sick.

Aurator

We don't really need to go beyond the very first lines ("Cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) for chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) leads to a significant decrease in CFS-related symptoms and disability") of this study in order to see the fundamental absurdity of it. The study's authors are using as a starting point for their study a proposition that, far from being proven, requires itself to be proved before anything that depends on it can have validity. The authors, like many psychs involved with ME/CFS, have simply disappeared up their own backsides.

jimells

Then she was asked if she was claiming under the 'special rules', so she agreed to do this. Then she was told that this meant she would have to die within six months and if she didn't they would prosecute her.

Wow, die within six months or go to jail. That would fit in well in the U.S. where suicide-by-cop is a growing cause of death. This happened to my neighbor's brother a month ago. He'd been dealing with depression for years. Something happened, somebody called the cops, and they shot him in his own house in front of his elderly mother. Very, very disturbing.