New Atmosphere, New Vision: Gibson and Whittemore Kick Off Invest in ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry reports on Dr. Gibson's introduction and Dr. Whittemore's keynote speech, at the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

New paper: Deviant Cellular and Physiological Responses to Exercise in ME

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Countrygirl, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Countrygirl

Countrygirl I'm with Cheesus

UK

Deviant Cellular and Physiological Responses to Exercise in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Frank N.M. Twisk1*, Keith J. Geraghty2

This isn't a research paper, but rather an overview of some previous papers/findings . It's theme is apt given the controversy over the PACE paper.

http://www.jacobspublishers.com/images/Physiology/J_J_Physiology_1_2_007.pdf

Valentijn, Chezboo, Sea and 6 others like this.
  2. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.

Toronto, Canada
    "Deviant"

Not often that word is used in biomedical science - more like psych science.

Anyway, already knew I was deviant. This is just proof. :)

MEMum and jimells like this.
  3. adreno

adreno PR activist

Aberrant would be a better word in this context.

4. Sea

Sea Senior Member

NSW Australia
    Perhaps English not being his first language makes word choice a little trickier

MEMum likes this.
  5. Keith Geraghty

Keith Geraghty Senior Member

aberrant would have been a possible alterntive adjective for our paper title, however given its use in 'psychosomatic studies' relating to aberrant thought processes, we felt it better to use deviant physiological responses.

we are working on a longer and more detailed paper, and hope to test some of our hypotheses in forthcoming work in this area.

The current paper includes some interesting observations regarding responses in ME/CFS following exercise.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    MEMum, ghosalb, waiting and 14 others like this.
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Free full text: http://www.jacobspublishers.com/images/Physiology/J_J_Physiology_1_2_007.pdf

MEMum, Valentijn and barbc56 like this.
  7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I thought this could be a useful resource if one wanted a list of most of the published abnormal responses to exercise.

MEMum, ghosalb and barbc56 like this.
  8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

This paper wasn't included for whatever reason:

CFS_for_19_years and barbc56 like this.
  9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

10. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    @Keith Geraghty Thank you for taking the time to post on our forum.

Your review is most timely for me, as just yesterday I had a first appointment with a new primary care physician, Even after she observed impaired circulation in my feet and hands, and I described how my pulse goes from 60 supine to 120 standing within 10 minutes (when I'm not taking atenolol), she concluded that my illness is "mostly psychological". :bang-head:

I think your article is just about the right length to show to a busy physician and I will do that promptly.

MEMum, mango, Valentijn and 2 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.