1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
California 2014: IACFS/ME Day Four: Translating Science into Clinical Care: 23 March 2014
It is Day Four and the final conference session from San Francisco. In this review we hear from Searcher about the neurosciences session, and PET and EEG analysis, then a study on cognitive functioning, followed by a debate on the revised 2014 IACFS/ME Primer, and then we wrap-up the...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

New paper: Apobec 3G reduces infectivity of the XMRV

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by RustyJ, Jul 23, 2010.

1. RustyJ

RustyJ Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'

Brisbane, Aust
  2. VillageLife

VillageLife Senior Member

United Kingdom
    this is really amazing!!
  3. RustyJ

Brisbane, Aust
    I am not sure how this extends the previous 2 studies. Regarding above point, I think someone commented that XMRV may still be bypassing A3G in cells that do contain that protein. One other point, are there any other parts of the body that do not contain A3G where XMRV is more likely to find refuge. I guess this information is important for treatment, for targetting persistent reservoirs of XMRV after ARVs have beaten it back to these reservoirs. Can anyone add to this?

I note that someone has started another thread on this subject, some time after this one. I don't know the protocol in this situation - should they be merged?
  4. RustyJ

Brisbane, Aust
    I had another rare thought. What if this is why many people don't contact XMRV: because A3G kills it off in most tissue before it can get a hold. In other words, some people are lucky and some just ain't. Also could mean that genetics, environmental factors etc play little part in whether the virus takes hold.
  5. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    I wondered about that as well? Maybe in the sickest patients APOBEC is not working as well?
  6. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    I wonder if any environmental toxins inhibit APOBEC?
  7. Otis

Otis SeƱor Mumbler

USA
    An interesting topic for speculation, to be sure.

Seems like there are some interesting study possibilities here.

Type of onset may be a consideration with APOBEC effectiveness.
  8. leaves

leaves Senior Member

9. VillageLife

VillageLife Senior Member

United Kingdom
    Yep I thought this and does it explain why we may have good weeks and bad weeks maybe the APOBEC works better at times.
  10. RustyJ

Brisbane, Aust
    I think it reads that APOBEC is a gatekeeper. Once the virus is in the cell without getting pinned by APOBEC it's there for keeps. So it is unlikely APOBEC would have the sort of impact you are talking about. APOBEC would either stop the virus at its initial contact, or once the virus had a foothold APOBEC would slow down its spread, but not stop it entirely.

Maybe temporary symptom relief is more due to the relative effectiveness of the immune system and/or stage of concurrent infections.
  11. judderwocky

judderwocky Senior Member

or maybe we have a variant??? they haven't done any studies on variants for APOPEC3 yet in CFS patients have they?

does anybody know?
  12. judderwocky

judderwocky Senior Member

a good point... and a lot of these defense factors work "in conjunction" with one another....

it could also be that like they are now discovering with HIV.. you need other viruses to weaken the body before it can take hold....like herpes helps hiv infect the mucosa.... maybe an entero virus or something could be what is weakening our system to let it in... then once it is established... it takes hold and becomes a permanent root cause... the defreitas retrovirus?
  13. RustyJ

Brisbane, Aust
    Judder, Cort, you may be right. APOBEC may be affected in ME patients. Could it be that everyone has underestimated the role APOBEC has played? Mikovits has only recently suggested there might be 2 types of XMRV - one type in the prostate and one in ME patients. In fact, Cort, you highlighted this in "A different kind of XMRV?" http://www.forums.aboutmecfs.org/con...niello-on-XMRV

I thought it was important, so I started a new thread on it. http://www.forums.aboutmecfs.org/showthread.php?6526-Two-different-types-of-XMRV-revisited&

14. JillBohr

JillBohr Senior Member

Columbus, OH
    Very interesting leaves since Judy stated that the only immune marker associated with XMRV is decreased interferon alpha.

http://www.forums.aboutmecfs.org/sh...Mikovits-IACFS-ME-Newsletter-Apr-2010-Q-amp-A

See more popular forum discussions.