• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New Multicenter Study Shows D-Ribose Increases Energy 61% in CFS and Fibromyalgia Patients

Ember

PR Newswire
KONA, Hawaii, July 16, 2012
http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/795706
KONA, Hawaii, July 16, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- A new multicenter study published in The Open Pain Journal (2012, 5, 32-37) showed that daily consumption of the pentose carbohydrate D-ribose (Corvalen™: 5 grams, 3 times a day over 3 weeks) resulted in an average energy boost of 61 percent among patients diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) and fibromyalgia (FMS). In addition, sleep, pain, mental clarity and overall well-being improved. The study, headed by board certified internist Jacob Teitelbaum, MD, involved 257 people with (CFS) and FMS from 53 different health clinics.

The research showed that consuming D-ribose led to both statistically (p<.0001) and clinically highly significant average improvements in all categories:
  • 61.3 % increase in energy
  • 37% increase in overall well-being
  • 29.3% improvement in sleep
  • 30% improvement in mental clarity
  • 15.6% decrease in pain
These findings confirmed results of an earlier pilot study published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine(2006:12 (9):857-862), involving 36 patients from a single medical center, who took D-ribose for an average of 25 days. [1] Approximately 66% of patients experienced significant improvement while on D-ribose, with an average increase in energy of 45% and an average improvement in overall well-being of 30% (p<.0001).

The purpose of the new study was to reconfirm the efficacy of D-ribose for improving the quality of life in energy-depleted patients diagnosed with fibromyalgia (FMS) and/or CFS, and to see if the results could be generalized to the CFS and FMS community as a whole.

"Today we're facing a human energy crisis of major proportions. Reflecting this, the prevalence of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and its painful cousin fibromyalgia has grown dramatically in recent years," said lead researcher Jacob Teitelbaum, MD, author of the bestselling From Fatigued to Fantastic! (Avery Penguin). "FMS affects between 3-6 million and CFS affects over 1 million Americans, mirrored by comparable numbers in at least 5 European countries."

According to Dr. Teitelbaum, D-ribose provides the key building block for producing the "energy molecule" adenosine triphosphate (ATP) in every cell. ATP levels have been found to be 80 percent higher in healthy vs. CFS patients. [2] "Our hypothesis all along has been that giving D-ribose to people with CFS/FMS will jump-start their mitochondrial energy furnaces. We're pleased that the larger multicenter trial corroborated our earlier study, showing the same benefits for fibromyalgia and CFS patients from multiple locations."

Dr. Teitelbaum is also the lead author of the landmark study on effective treatment for CFS and fibromyalgia published in the Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (8:2,2001), which found that 91 percent of patients showed an average 90 percent improvement in quality of life using the SHINE medical protocol. [3] His latest book, Real Cause, Real Cure (Rodale Press) will be published in August.

References

[1] The use of D-ribose in chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia: a pilot study," Teitelbaum JE, JA St.Cyr, C Johnson, J Alternative and Complementary Medicine 2006;12 (9):857-862.

[2] Bazzichi L, Giannaccini G, Betti L. ATP, calcium and magnesium levels in platelets of patients with primary fibromyalgia. Clin Biochem 2008; 41(13): 1084-90.

[3] Effective Treatment of CFS and FMS: A Randomized, Double-Blind Placebo Controlled Study," Teitelbaum JE, Bird B, Weiss A, et al., Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 8 (2) (2001).3-28.

SOURCE Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum

CJB

Inclusion criteria:
1) Over 18 yo. Not limited by gender or race.

2) Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia (FMS) (defined by
American College of Rheumatology [ACR] criteria)
and/or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS- by Centers for
Disease Control [CDC] criteria) by a health practitioner.

Exclusion Criteria:

1) Having used D-ribose at over 5 grams a day for at least 3
weeks in the past or any D-ribose containing products in
the 7 days prior to the study.

2) The study did not include any pregnant or nursing
women or any participants with known severe
medication or nutrient sensitivities. Otherwise, as we
chose to have a cohort representative of the population
carrying a diagnosis of CFS and/or FMS as a whole,
including those with secondary fibromyalgia, patients
with other medical conditions were included. Therefore,
evaluation to rule out other conditions was not done, nor
were subjects excluded who were on other treatments.

Formula and Dosage

The practitioners directed patients to use D-ribose
(Corvalen) at a dose of 5 grams, three times a day, for 3
weeks. They were instructed that the powder was to be
mixed with food, water, or another beverage.

Experimental Design

This was an open, unblinded trial. After confirming that
the subjects met the entry criteria, the practitioners
completed an optional information sheet including a
demographic summary, whether the patient had CFS, FMS
or both, and recorded supplements, over–the-counter drugs
(OTCs) and prescription drugs that the patient used
regularly. The practitioners gave subjects the study product,
a baseline questionnaire, three weekly follow up
questionnaires, and four prepaid and addressed envelopes.
Patients were allowed to take their other treatments in
addition to the D-ribose.

Outcome Measures

The patients rated five FMS/CFS symptoms at baseline
(1 week before they began treatment), and after 1, 2, and 3
weeks of treatment using a 7-point hedonic scale. The
assessed symptoms were energy level, sleep quality, mental
clarity, pain level, and overall sense of well being (based on
the subjects’ individual interpretation of these symptoms and
using the guidelines given to them- see symptom scales in
Table 1). Average scores with 1 SD were calculated for each
of the 5 symptoms at baseline and weeks 1,2, and 3. P values
were measured relative to the baseline period.

The patients answered (on the questionnaire) if they had
taken the directed dosage after each week of treatment and if
they experienced any adverse side effects.

I was curious about the cohort selection because I wish I had the $$ back I spent on this stuff. I know it's an important part of some nutritional protocols that are helping people, but on it's own, I'm skeptical.

wdb

I think going by the PACE trial it is fair to discount as fairly worthless any research that is un-blinded, with no comparable placebo control and subjective measures.

It seems particularly lazy methodology in this case considering how easy it would have been for them to have blinded the trial and given half of the participants 5g of something inert 3 times a day as a control.

Tito

A real lasting improvement or a temporary improvement followed by a massive crash? 25 days seem very short to me...

Rand56

What about some other people on here, including myself, where D-Ribose had no effect? I would think we would even know if we had a 25% increase in energy levels. Goes to show that anyone can respond differently to supplements. I think it's great though for people who get a positive response to D-Ribose.

Also, unless Cheney has changed his tune on D-Ribose, which I don't know if he has or hasn't, atleast according to this he says....

"CFS is a problem of energy - and d-Ribose won’t help. It just makes the problem worse. He says the same thing about co-Q-10."

http://www.prohealth.com/fibromyalgia/blog/boardDetail.cfm?id=1346629

So, if he hasn't changed his mind, I guess the debate goes on.

Does Teitelbaum profit off of the sale of D-Ribose? Once again, I think it's great some people get a good response from it.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Hi, Folks.

I have just tried this and stopped it again rather quickly as I was getting terrible bloating/gas. I also noticed that the dermatitis on my palms had returned, after almost completely disappearing following a few weeks of a gut alkalising regime, which I started after reading the very credible evidence of benefit from this. (I've contributed here to a thread on this.) My blood pressure also shot up despite my medication for it. It's going down again now. I'm pretty annoyed that my progress has apparently been set back by this supplement, and want to warn others.

Having just quickly looked at Dr Teitelbaum's and Dr Sarah Myhill's info on d-ribose I got the impression that it would help and was pretty free from side effects. Since getting apparent adverse effects myself I did some online searching today and found the following from scientific papers:

1. It can cause sudden rises in insulin and marked and prolonged drops in blood sugar.
2. In some people it causes increased levels of lactic acid/lactate in the blood. People with ME are already thought to produce too much lactate in the muscles during exertion - it's one of the causes of the muscle pain.
3. D-ribose can also cause increases in uric acid, which can have a number of adverse consequences.

You can see the evidence here if you can follow scientific language:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1904121
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1776826
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11641371

and Dr Teitelbaum's site does sell d-ribose as well as other things he recommends, citing his own evidence. This has to give rise to at least some caution.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
DRibose, CoQ10, l carnitine and others work together very well. I use them daily. My CFS is not a problem now. I would surely not stop CoQ10, too many benifits.

caledonia

I'm taking D-ribose in the form of BioEnergyC. I'm getting about 2g of D-ribose per day (about 1 tsp spread out over the day). I tolerate it well. It helps energy about 3%, but that's enough to go from "warmed over death", to feeling sort of ok as long as I don't push it.

I've taken more in the past, but it didn't help any more.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I'd go with CoQ10 and l-carnitine, no problem, Can't afford them at the moment but am taking l-glutamine, which may be a good adjunct to the others.

JT1024

I periodically have taken D-Ribose and have seen benefits. It definitely helps with mental clarity and energy. The last week really drained me and yesterday was a completely useless day. I took some D-Ribose during the night and felt quite a bit better this morning.

Since I take so many supplements, I just can't take them all every day. Ubiquinol and SAMe are must haves for me. NAC is also beneficial. So many supplements - way too expensive! They do help though.