• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

new Miwa/Fujita Small Heart w Low Cardiac Output for OI in CFS study

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
Miwa K, Fujita M. Small Heart With Low Cardiac Output for Orthostatic Intolerance in Patients With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Clin Cardiol. 2011 Nov 28. doi: 10.1002/clc.20962. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 22120591
Source

Department of Internal Medicine, Miwa Naika Clinic, Toyama.

Abstract
BACKGROUND: The etiology of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is unknown. Orthostatic intolerance (OI) is common in CFS patients. Recently, small heart with low cardiac output has been postulated to be related to the genesis of both CFS and OI.

HYPOTHESIS: Small heart is associated with OI in patients with CFS.

METHODS: Study CFS patients were divided into groups of 26 (57%) CFSOI(+) and 20 (43%) CFSOI(-) according to the presence or absence of OI. In addition, 11 OI patients and 27 age- and sex-matched control subjects were studied. Left ventricular (LV) dimensions and function were determined echocardiographically.

RESULTS: The mean values of cardiothoracic ratio, systemic systolic and diastolic pressures, LV end-diastolic dimension, LV end-systolic dimension, stroke volume index, cardiac index, and LV mass index were all significantly smaller in CFSOI(+) patients than in CFSOI(-) patients and healthy controls, and also in OI patients than in controls.

A smaller LV end-diastolic dimension (<40 mm) was significantly (P<0.05) more prevalently noted in CFSOI(+) (54%) and OI (45%) than in CFSOI(-) (5%) and controls (4%). A lower cardiac index (<2 L/min/mm(2) ) was more prevalent in CFSOI(+) (65%) than in CFSOI(-) (5%, P<0.01), OI (27%), and controls (11%, P<0.01).

CONCLUSIONS: A small size of LV with low cardiac output was noted in OI, and its degree was more pronounced in CFSOI(+). A small heart appears to be related to the genesis of OI and CFS via both cerebral and systemic hypoperfusion. CFSOI(+) seems to constitute a well-defined and predominant subgroup of CFS.

2011 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. The authors have no funding, financial relationships, or conflicts of interest to disclose.

fla

That a small LV would cause OI among the M.E. population is quite intuitive (I would expect that tinnitus would have a similar correlation to a small LV as OI does). That a small LV would cause M.E. to begin with seems much harder to explain to me.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
thanks, Dolphin, for the easy-to-full-text link :Retro smile: Not sure I can stay awake long enough to read it (haven't been able to stay awake most of the past week or more), but I'll save it for later.