• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New Methylation Videos by Ben Lynch

caledonia

I admire Ben Lynch's thorough research and presentations. I just knew once he finished with MTHFR, he was going to discover the rest of the methylation cycle, and it was going to be great.

Well that day has arrived. There are two new videos by Ben Lynch covering the whole methylation cycle. It helps to have a pretty good grounding in methylation already to understand these as they're complex and fast moving. It's also good to hear another well-researched voice indepedent of Yasko.

I've already watched these twice and taken pages of notes - found a few things that I can apply to my own treatment. Anyway, great stuff - enjoy.

Folate and Methylation Defects and Metabolism in 2013: Clinical Breakthroughs (Part 1 - Presentation)

MTHFR and Methylation Advancements: Q and A with Dr. Lynch (Part 2 - Question and Answer Session)

PeterPositive

Thank you very much for posting. I'll be watching this later in the day.
It will keep me busy for a while

Crux

Thanks caledonia;

I think Dr. Lynch is an excellent researcher, motivated by compassion, as well as intellectual curiosity.

bertiedog

I wanted to thank you too, I learned a lot especially what he says about not taking supplements everyday to aid methylation. I think I could benefit a lot from that advice because I always run into severe migraines when I add in even small amounts of extra methylfolate of MB12. He said not to take them if you were feeling good and wait until you started to feel symptoms coming on and then restart.

He also believes in over methylation something Freddd doesn't think exists from what I have read. I have definitely experienced this and I have been trying since 2007 to get methylation going. If I had my genetics I am sure it would help so will address this soon I think.

Pam

caledonia

I wanted to thank you too, I learned a lot especially what he says about not taking supplements everyday to aid methylation. I think I could benefit a lot from that advice because I always run into severe migraines when I add in even small amounts of extra methylfolate of MB12. He said not to take them if you were feeling good and wait until you started to feel symptoms coming on and then restart.

@bertiedog Yes, I found this same point very enlightening. I'm planning on doing this too, just as soon as I'm cleared out from my latest round of accidental overmethylation.

Instead of doing it randomly (because I would just forget to take my supps altogether), I'm going to take a very small dose of my folate twice a week. What I keep running into is noticeable metal detox symptoms, which is uncomfortable. So this should allow time for the metals to detox in a more comfortable way.

Once started, methylation just keeps cranking by itself for days and days, and it doesn't necessarily need constant daily input.

On the other hand, I find I do need B12 every day, to keep my nighttime racing heartbeats at bay, so I'm sticking with that. I have the B12 "double whammy", which is both MTR and MTRR (B12 intake and B12 recycling), so it's probably due to that.

bertiedog

That's very interesting that you know your genetics which explains the high need for B12. I wouldn't be surprised if I don't need at least 3000 mcg B12 daily. I haven't taken any today and so far energy has been good despite the 5th day of migraine due to having taken just 200 mcg methylfolate for a week (on top of the 3 Basic Nutrients I take daily which also contains natural folates and active B12s.

What I learned today from watching some of Amy Yasko videos is that forms of folate can cause high glutamate. I am positive this is what happens to me, hence the migraines. She says it does depend on the various SNPs you have. There is so much to learn, no doubt of that and it is certainly extremely complicated. She also doesn't believe in high doses of anything and that is definitely my experience apart from the need for high dose B12.

Pam

She also doesn't believe in high doses of anything and that is definitely my experience apart from the need for high dose B12.

I think B12 is one of the exceptions. From her book:
According to published work by Dr. James Neubrander, no toxic doses of B12 have been found, and this medical finding is supported by my clinical experience. Parents report back that “the more B12, the better.” In some cases, elevated doses of B12 (50 milligrams and above) have helped to stimulate speech in formerly apraxic children.

leela

@caledonia, thank you. Just watched the first video and it's wonderful how clear he is.

I wonder if anyone can recommend a good brand of creatine? (sorry, OT I know.)

bertiedog

I think B12 is one of the exceptions. From her book:
Thanks for that information, it seems to tie in with what I need but I have been using 5000 mcg of the transdermal spray which is way more than she is talking about. I am going to cut back and see if I still get the benefits. My other concern about the spray I get from Dr Myhill is that it is Cynacobalamin but it has worked wonderfully for me whereas MB12 is a disaster. I think I know the reason and that is that I must be able to convert the Cyna into AdnB12 which is needed in the mitochondria for energy and it was this part I was always low in (a Metabolic Analysis Profile showed high MMA) and 10 years ago I was borderline deficient in the MMA test then but I had so much other stuff wrong that it got overlooked. Consequently my exercise intolerance just got worse and worse whereas since September and the B12 spray I am able to do so much more (between 5500 and 6000 steps daily).

Pam

caledonia

Thanks for that information, it seems to tie in with what I need but I have been using 5000 mcg of the transdermal spray which is way more than she is talking about. I am going to cut back and see if I still get the benefits. My other concern about the spray I get from Dr Myhill is that it is Cynacobalamin but it has worked wonderfully for me whereas MB12 is a disaster. I think I know the reason and that is that I must be able to convert the Cyna into AdnB12 which is needed in the mitochondria for energy and it was this part I was always low in (a Metabolic Analysis Profile showed high MMA) and 10 years ago I was borderline deficient in the MMA test then but I had so much other stuff wrong that it got overlooked. Consequently my exercise intolerance just got worse and worse whereas since September and the B12 spray I am able to do so much more (between 5500 and 6000 steps daily).

Pam

@bertiedog That's awesome you're getting energy. But, be careful with the high dose cyano. Somebody on here got into trouble with cyanide poisoning. There is a post with Rich Vank mentioning it, if you want to look it up.

You can supplement with adenosylcobalamin directly. Yasko sells a liquid sublingual adenosylcobalamin which works well for me. I dilute it down to 1mcg drops. Yasko also has various B12 sprays if you prefer that delivery method. That's at http://www.holisticheal.com/.

As far as needing huge amounts - the highest I've gone with B12 so far is about 50mcg. I get benefits from that and even smaller amounts than that. Even though my SNP combination recommends hydroxycobalamin, I don't tolerate it, so I'm doing methylcobalamin and the above mentioned adenosylcobalamin. Those work well for me. (That makes me the same as Freddd - lol.)

Journeyman

Nice find Caledonia - I'm a week into a fairly strong methylation protocol which actually saw the removal of SAM-E which I was previously supplementing at dosages of 200mg/day. With the inclusion of the complete deadlock quartet I thought it might be wise to cut out the SAM-E you see.

At about 30mins into the video he focusses on the folate cycle where he emphasis the downside of excessive 5-MTHF supplementation which was particularly interesting for me given my high intake of about 7mg 5MTHF/day for a week Aside from this being a high dosage I was aware of its short 3 hour half life and so spread that dosage intake throughout the day. The net effect was that I was actually continuously building my net levels - particularly towards the latter period of that week.

I have the SHMT1 heterozygous mutation (+/-) so what effect was all this 5MTHF having on my body? It was upregulating MTHFR and 'overdriving' the methylation cycle and reducing my DNA synthesis through inhibition of SHMT1 enzyme activity. Making things worse was my simultaneous cessation of SAM-E which further moved my cycle away from DNA synthesis which would have led to excessive uracils which Dr Lynch describes the importance of at about that 30 min mark..

Perhaps the most interesting aspect of this video is the new genes it brings into the spotlight. DNMT1 (DNA methyltransferase) looks to be extremely important for checking into your likely status for DNA synthesis, and thus be able to supplement if you have a mutation perhaps? The other really important one appears to be the MAT gene which he raised in the context of those patients who take ample B12 and active folates, and yet don't feel any improvement. apparently with the MAT mutation they don't produce the SAM-E from these cofactors and so they need to supplement these directly to ensure the cycle can work its full way round.

I wonder can anyone bring us any useful info re: the MAT and DNMT1 genes such as what polymorphism's result in what enzyme related activity deficiencies or excesses... This could be v. useful for those of us who having learnt the potential importance of SAM-E, can then look at their own likely status and thus whether it would be worth supplementing this costly supplement to improve their lives...

Soundthealarm21

Pam

I just don't like the idea that i've been putting cyanide in my body for all these years.. I just started taking Dr. Ben's B12 which is 4/5 Methylcobalamin and 1/5 Adenosylcobalamin. I cut the 5,000 mcg tablet into 1/8s and as of today and yesterday it has improved my mental function drastically and also completely removed my muscle pain and stiffness. It is quite remarkable and much welcome!

bertiedog

That's good to hear you are getting benefits so quickly.

I am in a real need now for anything that helps my muscles because I have had a nasty injury. On Friday a big dog ran straight into my leg but especially my knee and it has damaged the ligaments. The pain has been terrible but I am getting benefits from having it strapped up and resting all the time (something I don't like doing). Usually I am quite active but obviously cannot be at the moment.

The problem is I cannot walk properly at all because I cannot straighten my knee so I have had to use a stick which is putting all sorts of pressure on my muscles everywhere plus the muscles were damaged anyway cos of the jolt from the dog. I notice that most of the muscles in my legs and shoulders have gone very tight and rigid which is why I have got so much pain from them.

What I think I am going to do regarding the B12 is to order some AdnB12 spray and Hydroxy B12 spray from Metabolics and see how I get on with these but it would be as well to wait until I can walk a bit more normally I think. Cos I am in the UK I haven't got so many options regarding ordering different forms of B12.

Pam

Just curious. I carry MTHFR, and I am a good researcher in my field -very far from Dr Lynch's. Judging from google scholar or any research database, Dr Lynch is not well published as a researcher at all. I checked with our medical faculty and they agree. Why does he get a reputation among patients as a top researcher?

Judging from google scholar or any research database, Dr Lynch is not well published as a researcher at all. I checked with our medical faculty and they agree. Why does he get a reputation among patients as a top researcher?
Probably the same reason Yasko does. He's selling something that people are eager to buy.

caledonia

Just curious. I carry MTHFR, and I am a good researcher in my field -very far from Dr Lynch's. Judging from google scholar or any research database, Dr Lynch is not well published as a researcher at all. I checked with our medical faculty and they agree. Why does he get a reputation among patients as a top researcher?

He is not a researcher, he is a clinician. He takes others' research and applies that clinically.