• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New methylation article posted by Dr. Neil Nathan

serg1942

Thanks Rich! The results are very well explained for layman people, and the book sure is very interesting!

Sergio

jeffrez

Very good, thanks.

What happened to cfsresearch.org? I was going to print out a couple of your papers for my doctor, but the site appears to have been down for the past couple of days. The Nathan article is good, but a little too basic. Have you moved to a different server? thx.

richvank

Hi, Mr. Kite.

Nico Van den Eynde in Belgium was the owner of the cfsresearch.org site, and he was kindly posting my papers there. Nico decided to shut down his site again, and for the final time, for reasons of cost and because he has found that he does not have ME/CFS himself. Cort has been carrying some of my papers at

http://www.aboutmecfs.org/Trt/TrtGSHIntro.aspx

and plans to update them with the more recent ones soon. In the meantime, if you email me with your email address, I will send you the more recent ones.

Best regards,

Rich

dmholmes

Really good structure to the book. I of course went to the 2 chapters that interest me most, magnesium and methylation. Very easy to read, only wish I had it a couple of years earlier.

anne_likes_red

Magnesium and methylation - two hot topics for me right now. Think I might order the book too :)
Thanks for the review :)
Anne.

Really good structure to the book. I of course went to the 2 chapters that interest me most, magnesium and methylation. Very easy to read, only wish I had it a couple of years earlier.

Hi Rich! Can you please tell me the difference between the simplified approach and the protocol that Freddd is suggesting.

Thanks!

richvank

Hi Rich! Can you please tell me the difference between the simplified approach and the protocol that Freddd is suggesting.

Thanks!

Hi, alexk201.

I would say that the main difference is that the simplified approach uses the hydroxocobalamin form of B12, while Freddd recommends using both methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin. In addition, Freddd recommends higher dosages, and also maintaining the dosages when symptoms intensify, while in the simplified approach I have suggested dropping back on the dosages and going at a lower rate, at a level that is tolerable. There are also some differences in the cofactor supplements in the two protocols.

We have discussed our views about the pros and cons of these differences on the long B12 thread as well as some of the other threads in the methylation section of the forum.

In my opinion, the two approaches do have in common that they contain the essence of what is needed to lift the partial methylation cycle block, which is high-dosage B12 together with at least RDA dosages of chemically reduced folate.

Best regards,

Rich

Freddd

Thanks!

Hi Alexk,

I would like to add a couple of significant distinctions. First the active b12 protocol doesn't have a SIMPLIFIED version. There is also a more complete form of the simplified methylation protocol which would be more comparable. Something like 20% of the persons trying these things is going to have something outside of the simplified protocol that brings response to near zero. It can be all sorts of things like insufficient D, C, A, E, zinc, magnesium, SAM-e, D-ribose or omega3 oils and often a combination.

While a lot don't realize it, magnesium is vitally important as a substrate for b12 activity. Potassium is often depleted to an uncomfortable if not dangerous or fatal, level within days of adding something that triggers abrupt healing, often mb12, adb12, Metafolin or l-carnitine fumarate but it can be any of the basics as well.

Further, the symptoms being aimed at with the active protocol go way outside those limited to lack of methylation. Adb12 and other cofactors for instance are targeting mitochondrial dysfunction and the larger doses of active b12s that can diffuse more easily are targeting CNS/CSF deficiencies.

Best of luck with all this.