• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New member: Help needed with genetics and appropriate supplements

Hi - can someone please help me - I'm very confused and not sure if I should use methyl folate, b12 etc.. And if I should use bh4? Please any help interpreting this! Thanks so much!!
image.jpg

image.jpg

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
Hi - can someone please help me - I'm very confused and not sure if I should use methyl folate, b12 etc.. And if I should use bh4? Please any help interpreting this! Thanks so much!!
View attachment 11545
View attachment 11546

Dear freakzilla,
Your genetic profile is not a reason to take any particular supplements. Whether you need supplements is a medical decision based on evidence of shortage. Nobody here can provide meaningful advice on the basis of your genetics. The reason for being confused is I suspect that various people who sell these tests or sell supplements like to give the impression they can interpret the tests in terms of supplement needs but there is no basis for that as far as I know.

TheChosenOne

A genetic profile lists up all the genetic weaknesses. That doesn't mean a shortage, but its only an indicator. Everyone has mutations. But a lot of people are helped by supplementing according to their genetic weaknesses.
Your methylation panel looks pretty clean. MAOA might cause some mood problems. MTHFR C677T and MTRR A66G are the only ones worth noticing. MTHFR C677T converts folate into methylfolate. MTRR A66G recycles methylB12. Your shortcut pathway (BHMT) is only slightly impaired, but that shouldn't be a problem since your long pathways looks good.

caledonia

It is true that these type of genetic mutations or SNPs are only potentials of where certain pathways in your body might be running slow or fast if they become expressed.

A healthy person shouldn't need to do any supplementation based on their SNPs, and in fact, this may make you feel worse if you don't need such supplementation.

However, if you've made it to this forum, we assume that you have severe health issues such as ME, otherwise you wouldn't be here. Assuming this is the case, then your methylation genes are likely to be expressed and supplementation based on your SNPs may be helpful.

It's also a good idea to pair genetic information with functional testing to see what is actually going on in your body. There could be gut issues, mercury issues, adrenal issues, etc. also impacting things which may need to be addressed separately.

In addition to the MTHFR C677T and MTRR that TheChosenOne pointed out, you also have a GSTP which will also impact glutathione. In addition, if CBS is expressed, there will be additional problems with glutathione production.

Click on my signature link to find a document called the SNPs Interpretation Guide to help with the SNPs. I also have other documents which may be helpful.

Hi everyone!

Thanks for the REPLYS and feedback. Sorry it took so long to reply to you all. I was very sick and pretty bed ridden but having a better day today. My moods are very volatile and all over the place!

I have a 40 page document with my gene expressions etc that is much more intense than what I posted above. I'm just clueless, but something seems to be wrong somewhere, I just can't figure it out.

Trust me I don't wanna have to take anything in an ideal world, but things have fallen off course for a while now.

I do have gut issues and have for awhile. I know I have an abundance of clostrial species in my gut from doing uBiome stool testing and I'm sure this is a major issue. And I do have silver fillings still not sure what docs to go to that I can trust and if my pathways are bad -is it even wise to get them removed? This is what confuses me. I have the tiredness, cfs, seborhhea dermatitis bad, and gut issues(ulcerative colitis - it's controlled now but still underlying infection).

I just feel like my liver is sluggish and detoxing how it should be? How can I know if these cbs genes are the issue?. Do I need folate, b12?

It's all very confusing, but thank you all!

Another thing I'm confused about - how do I know if I'm sulfur intolerant or histamine intolerant? I eat a lot of veggies and broccoli!

TheChosenOne

I have a 40 page document with my gene expressions etc that is much more intense than what I posted above. I'm just clueless, but something seems to be wrong somewhere, I just can't figure it out
Please post it. Maybe some people can find something.

I do have gut issues and have for awhile. I know I have an abundance of clostrial species in my gut from doing uBiome stool testing and I'm sure this is a major issue. And I do have silver fillings still not sure what docs to go to that I can trust and if my pathways are bad -is it even wise to get them removed? This is what confuses me. I have the tiredness, cfs, seborhhea dermatitis bad, and gut issues(ulcerative colitis - it's controlled now but still underlying infection).
What kind of gut issues?

Hi-

What is the best way for me to post the 40 page doc?

I recently had uBiome analysis done and that showed high clostrial species making up more than 60percent of my total stool so I have to balance this out - it's probably causing majority of my issues. Oat test from Great Plains backs this theory up as all my clostrial and bacterial markers are very high.

I have a keratosis issues where my hair follicles on my face oxidize with sebum or sweat causing my follicle to back or get keratin balls - like a seborhhea dermatitis.

Nothing has ever worked or helped this - derms have no answers which doesn't surprise me.