• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New MEGA study website (30 November 2016)

Cinders66

Interesting mailing from AYME today. (Obliquely related to this thread..mods might wish to relocate info to another thread?)

"
Children in Need funding gone – we urgently need your help!

At some point during the last three years, your family has been supported by AYME and we hope even in some small way this reduced the suffering your family has, or is experiencing.

The support may have been provided following contact with our help and information line and email service, or perhaps in some extreme cases via our emergency crisis line which operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Many of the families receiving support were and remain under threat of safeguarding proceedings and rely entirely on this support to empower them to challenge those taking proceedings against them.

These services have been funded by Children in Need since 2013, but funding will cease at the end of 2016. With severely limited general funds, AYME cannot continue to provide this level of support.

For some time, we have been desperately trying to identify other sources of funding but to no avail. Lack of awareness and understanding faced by many families we work with also poses a significant challenge when seeking financial support openly available for other more well-known causes. If you have appreciated the support you have received, no matter how little, I am begging you to ensure our services continue for those children with M.E./CFS and their families who are in crisis right now. If this is you and your loved ones we will continue to do our utmost for you.

If you are truly unable to help, then please ignore this email. However if you can spare even £1, believe me every penny will help keep AYME operating these support services.

You can help by:

· Donating regularly via AYME website or make a one off donation www.ayme.org.uk/donate

· Introduce AYME to potential corporate supporters (e.g. your employer)

· Hold a fundraising event no matter how small – see AYME’s website www.ayme.org.uk/fundraise for ideas or email Jo (Jo@ayme.org.uk)

· Do all of your online shopping via the AYME website www.giveasyoulive.com/join/ayme especially during the build up to Christmas! Every penny you spend will result in a donation to AYME, at no additional cost to yourself – don’t forget to tell friends and family friends and family. An important note is to go to the bottom of the page and under ‘Ways to Raise’ click ‘Donation Reminder’ and every time you shop online this will remind you by providing a short cut!

Your Charity really, really needs you right now. Thousands of children are still relying on AYME, so please help ensure we are there for them in 2017.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Thinking of you all and especially those still dreaming of improved health.

Mary-Jane and team.

Whilst I of course want kids and their families to be supported I have absolutely no surprise at Mary's inability to raise finds - thats what you get when you ally with a researcher whose sole media intent past years seem to be to reduce ME to CF and promote behaviour treatment as really effective. No wonder public donate to child hood cancer and abuse etc instead. ME is ghastly, cruel and the biggest cause of absence from school and yet it's not recognised as such because of the psychosocial researchers and the SMC. BOTH who are big players in MEGA. IF MEA is such a minor figure in MEGA , as said then why not pull out of CMRC because what's it achieving? Holgate and Crawley have had this type study on the burner for years, other than that pretty much zero interest, zero funding , not the wide ranging, high sum ring fenced research strategy we need.
As sick patients we need charities to not just roll over and say ok when state funders try to carry in status quo neglect, other charities like the MS and Parkinson's groups lobby about services and cuts and funding. We have 2 major charities and neither do this role.

Cinders66

Apologies that this is rather a long post. It is probably going over old ground.

I am becoming more and more puzzled about the question of what the MEGA study is actually intending to study. Apart from a list of distinguished scientists in various biomedical fields, we have very little clarity.

There are two bits of evidence I'm going on so far

1. The title of the project: MEGA stands for ME/CFS Epidemiology and Genomics Alliance. So no mention there of other -omics, just genomics.

According to a WHO definition:

Epidemiology is the study of the distribution and determinants of health-related states or events (including disease), and the application of this study to the control of diseases and other health problems.

This could, I suggest, mean trawling through masses of questionnaire data to look for associations between such things as socio-economic and psychological factors to look for associations with duration and severity of illness. Given Crawley's propensity for p-hacking her way through data to look for spurious associations that happen to pop up by chance, and attributing cause and effect to support her model of ME, this rings huge alarm bells for me.

All this with not a test tube being shaken, so to speak.

The other part, genomics, seems to be the driving factor in demanding a huge data set, justified on the grounds that it has been useful in other illnesses such as asthma and diabetes in determining subsets which can respond differently to different treatments.

However these illnesses already had a great deal of scientific knowledge and effective treatments available, so refining these treatments with genetic knowledge could potentially be useful. For ME/CFS this is very different, I would argue, and at this stage, with no effective treatments anyway, refining who should get what treatment seems to me to be pointless.

Some genetics, including family studies, are already happening elsewhere, and if there were a clear single allele site, we would know about it already. Maybe genomics is not the highest priority at the moment for a new biomedical study.

2. The particular fund being applied to at this stage. I have only now found out, by linking the dates given in the detail about the patient advisory group appointments and meetings, to information on the Wellcome website, that the deadline for preliminary application is in January, that it is probably this one:

'Biomedical Resource and Technology Development Grants
These grants are for researchers who want to establish or maintain resources or technology for the benefit of the wider scientific community.'

https://wellcome.ac.uk/funding/biomedical-resource-and-technology-development-grants

I'm guessing this means they are applying purely at this stage for a grant to set up a biobank. This would involve collecting the blood etc samples and questionnaires from thousands of patients and storing them. Storing the questionnaires would probably also involve collating the data from them into a data base.

As far as I can see, this doesn't involve any biomedical research being done, possibly for years. Further applications for money would be needed to enable the genomics etc to happen, and there is no guarantee that any funding will be available.

So what I conclude from both these points is that at the end of this process there will be a huge database of questionnaire data and a biobank full of samples waiting for people to make research grants for funding to do biomedical studies.

Since there is already an ME biobank which can be expanded as funding allows, I can't see how we will be any further forward.

They may claim that the new version of a biobank is needed because to do epidemiological studies, they need a sample representative of the whole population. However, they scupper that from the start by opting to use the skewed subset attending fatigue clinics.

I think I'm going over old ground here, but needed to clarify my understanding of what the project is supposed to be about. Given that whoever is chosen to be on the patient panel will only have, at best, a few days to examine the proposed grant application details, it is indeed odd that, as Jonathan Edwards says, 'We are not even told what it is going to study'.

I'm annoyed that they're just setting up a new biobank as half of the next move when patients have for years scrabbled together to fund the current one unaided, including a recent xmas appeal, My family made a few hundred pounds donation to it several years ago, and biomedical research is still something in the future or eventually.

A NICE based super biobank... OK uk have always insisted on a broader umbrella than elsewhere but ME as a devastatng multi symptom illness (not disorder thanks S Holgate) has been neglected so many years now, they need to just buckle down , throw lots of money at this and use the perfectly adequate stricter ME definitions out there and properly assist in the effort now getting off the ground in Australia, Norway and USA to help alleviate the suffering and disability of sick people. chronic Fatigue well it's another issue AFAIC

Jo Best

Extract from new post on Opposing MEGA - https://opposingmega.wordpress.com/2016/12/02/mega-shambles/
The M.E./CFS Epidemiology and Genomics Alliance launched their MEGA websitefour weeks later on 30th November, with a triple whammy: poor quality information; no facility to comment on the blogs; and a six day deadline to submit applications to join the Patient Advisory Group of 12 to 15 adults.

The short deadline would fail requirements to make reasonable accommodations for any disability group, let alone a disabling neurological disorder, marked by inability to produce energy on demand.

It should be inconceivable that a management group comprising experienced patient representative charities would think it acceptable to provide such a small window in which to apply for membership of a Patient Advisory Group. Action for ME is administering the applications, ME Association and ME Research UK are on the panel considering the applications, along with Paul Little, a Professor of Primary Care, representing the MEGA team.

We will comment on other content of the new MEGA website in another post. Meanwhile, as MEGA announced an extended deadline in response to the points raised, we leave it to you to decide the reasonableness in the scope of what’s required of the Patient Advisory Group within what remains a very short time-frame, at the most demanding time of the year for most patients and families.

Dx Revision Watch

Suzy Chapman Owner of Dx Revision Watch
Agreed. Ditto MERUK. What are they thinking? Oh yes..something about 'tents'.

It's been said on Twitter that when MERUK were contacted re the MEGA PAG group process, they did not know they were on the PAG selection panel and were not aware of the statement posted on the MEGA blog re the PAG and meeting schedule.

Dx Revision Watch

You can't leave comments on the MEGA blog statement (1 December 2016) re an extension to the deadline for PAG applications and the timeline dates:

Patient Advisory Group application deadline extended

but you can leave comments, here, on the MEA's blog:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/2016/12/applications-to-join-patient-advisory-group-of-mega-project-extended-by-one-week-2-december-2016/

Applications to join Patient Advisory Group of MEGA project extended by one week | 2 December 2016
From the MEGA project website, 1 December. Words by Sonya Choudhury.

Last edited:

JoanDublin

I wonder if the urgency here is due to the NICE guidelines being reviewed in 2017. Some important events happened in the last few years. The IOM report, AHRQ downgrading CBT/GET, the Oxford case definition being declared as flawed by multiple US agencies, PACE exposed as fraud.

I can think of two reasons why they might want to get MEGA protocol approval before the NICE review:

There is the possibility of NICE case definition being changed because it's almost as bad the Oxford defition. This would likely result in fewer mildly affected patients being recruited and fewer misdiagnoses. Mildly affected patients and misdiagnoses are convenient, perhaps even necessary, for their goals.

One of the stated goals of MEGA was to enhance existing treatments. Now CBT and GET are at risk of being declared ineffective. If they get their study plan approved before that happens they would have an excuse to continue to publish on the subject for a while still.

And that's exactly why MEGA should not be supported. Reminds me of the 'rush to publish' process

lilpink

It would be excellent if AYME were to close down. The incompetence of those running that organisation has done so much to harm pwME in the UK.

It would also mean that parents would have only one charity (TYMES) to access in the UK.. which would be quite a steep learning curve if they had transferred from AYME. Just imagine all those potentially *healthy* and aggrieved parents in 'advocate' mode?

Jo Best

A comment on Opposing MEGA post - https://opposingmega.wordpress.com/2016/12/02/mega-shambles/#comments

Peter T
December 2, 2016 at 7:02 pm
If the patient advisory group is to meaningfully contribute to the study design, how can that be achieved in time for a funding application that is to be submitted in early January?

Judging the by the timetable they are presenting, the only possibility is that the patient advisory group will be sent a draft proposal that has already been written just befor Christmas and only have one teleconference session between Christmas and New Year to discuss it. Is it reasonable to expect people with ME to give the matter their full consideration at what for many is their most stressful time of year?

Further this teleconference will be their first contact with each other and their first opportunity to discuss how they will organise themselves and conduct sessions. A group so established will have little autonomy and only able to react to what is put before them.

What is more important, pushing through a proposal that has not been properly evaluated and developed on such an unreasonable timetable, in order to get the application in for January 2017 or allaying the concerns of the patient community that already have serious worries about this project’s attitude to that patient community by ensuring a genuinely meaningful patient group and aplying for this unspecified funding a year later?

Does any one know how MEGA intend to respond to people who contact them through their contact form on the website? I had used the facility to express concern about the initial timetable for the patient group applications, but also to request clarification of the project team’s understanding of the methodological flaws in PACE-MAGENTA-FITNET-etc series of trials. Unfortunately I did not copy my messages before they were sent, and once sent they disappear without any indication of when or if they intend to respond.

Dx Revision Watch

I've asked PeterT if he would also consider posting a copy of his concerns on the MEA's site.

In response to a comment about the unreasonably tight schedule and the fact that those selected for PAG membership will be required to put in work in the week before Christmas, with a teleconference or e-meeting scheduled between Christmas and New Year, Dr Shepherd wrote the following on the MEA's Facebook page:

Charles Shepherd "....There are obviously some big pressures on time to get moving with setting up the MEGA Study Patient Advisory Group - which does mean some working over Xmas and New Year. I was keen for the deadline to be extended and this has now been done. The application form involves answering about 10 short questions. I completed it in about 8 minutes last night. This can be done in stages - so I think allowing two weeks to do so is fairly reasonable in the circumstances. I understand that a number of forms have already been sent in. Dr Charles Shepherd - Hon Medical Adviser, MEA."

Binkie4

A rigorous comparison of candidates and what they can offer as part of a PAG could not be completed by answering 10 short questions nor is it the process described at the beginning of this thread.
This required candidates to describe their experience under several specified headings, and for those selecting the PAG to score candidates presumably under certain criteria for comparison purposes.

Dx Revision Watch

A rigorous comparison of candidates and what they can offer as part of a PAG could not be completed by answering 10 short questions nor is it the process described at the beginning of this thread.
This required candidates to describe their experience under several specified headings, and for those selecting the PAG to score candidates presumably under certain criteria for comparison purposes.

Indeed. And since some applications may not be received until the morning of December 13, the panel responsible for reviewing, assessing and "scoring" applicants has just one day in which to decide whom to recruit.

Dr Shepherd says on Facebook:

" I was keen for the deadline to be extended and this has now been done..."

Only because patients and advocates used their limited time and energy to pressure MEGA for additional time. That should not have been necessary.

I find Dr Shepherd's insouciance disturbing.

Last edited:

Dx Revision Watch

There are four patient organisations ostensibly representing the interests of their constituents:

AYME is in Crawley's pocket.
ME Research UK's trustees don't appear to be keeping abreast of developments.
MEA's Dr Shepherd has more or less said "suck it up" over unreasonable and poorly conceived timeline targets.
And AfME.

No confidence that patients' short- and long-term interests as stakeholders in MEGA are being adequately served.

This morning, the OMEGA Petition has 3,047 supporters. If you haven't already signed, please consider signing the petition today*

https://www.change.org/p/opposing-mega-a-vote-of-no-confidence-in-mega-research-for-me-cfs

Opposing MEGA

Petition update:
A MEGA Shambles

*I have no connection with the OMEGA petition organisers.

Last edited:
So it turns out that MEGA is first and foremost a respository for blood samples and mental health questionnaires.
Mental health questionnaires just in time for the NICE review.

I don't suppose for one minute that people are being straight about MEGA. Funding is already earmarked from what I understand and so hence, I guess, the rush for an I'll thought through application, which is just a formality.

Looks to me like Crawley, A4ME and Holgate already had the funding sorted and took it to the CMRC, who then went out to bring in some scientists to make it look legit. Sounds like another Wessely throwing a few non ME specific people into the pot again scenario.

I also understand that A4ME took it upon themselves to represent charities in the CMRC in ways that were not agreed. The bad advertising practices just keep on coming.

MEGA is a mega mess whichever way it's diced and should be stopped. The last thing we need is a psychosocial assessment of the questionnaires being portrayed as suggesting CBT and GET are right and that NICE should not be changed.

Better no research than bad research. Send the funds to the US or Australia and help real research.

With the psychobabblers involved, we know there's trouble ahead. MEGA is unfixable and if the psychobabblers are holding the purse strings, they'll not be dropping out.