1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Brain Cells Making us Sick? The microglia connection in ME/CFS & Fibromyalgia
Simon McGrath looks at theories that microglia, the brain's immune cells, could trigger and perpetuate the symptoms of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

New Medical Director of WPI--Kenny De Meirleir M.D., Ph.D.

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Sushi, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Guido den Broeder

Guido den Broeder *****

Rotterdam, The Netherlands
    Formerly know as Kutapressin. Not quite on par with targeted antivirals as Valganciclovir, but still something we can't get in The Netherlands. So there is a lot of traffic of Dutch patients to Belgium. I remember asking him to accept Dutch patients way back in 2000 or so.

Basically, I figure, the treatment that DML provides takes care of secondary infections. That can make you feel a lot better, but it does not cure ME and they will come back eventually.

Personally I don't have any kind of income or savings so it is all out of my reach anyway.
  2. Erik Johnson

Erik Johnson Senior Member

Dr Fredericks the endocrinologist moved out of the downstairs office. I suppose that is where Dr DeMeirleir will be.
  3. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Senior Member

West Coast USA
    Hope he can make some headway once he joins the outfit. I wasn't aware they were even able to continue, post their leadership, legal and PR issues. Assume there's lots of inertia to overcome at that place, to get things rolling again.

I agree with someone above who said he will probably direct things but grunt research will be done by other people. Would be very hard to carry on a robust research program with full involvement when you're only onsite <X days a year.
  4. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    Not really. It's so easy to communicate at a distance these days. Project leaders do the immediate management of their own projects. The medical director is likely supervising the project leaders -- developing the research plan, reviewing research reports, and so on. That doesn't take day-to-day onsite presence. With today's communication methods, being in another country is not much worse than being in the corner office at the other end of the building. ;)
  5. atoska

atoska

rome italy
    Are you sure he is starting at the WPI in October? I have an app with him at Himmunitas in October...
  6. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

hi atoska. i am told he will be seeing patients both in reno and in belgium. looks like a lot of traveling for him
    atoska likes this.
  7. roxie60

roxie60 Senior Member

Central Illinois, USA
    bummer
  8. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

I tried to find out, for a friend, if KDM will be taking insurance at WPI but they don't know yet
    Little Bluestem likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.