1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

New Maes LPS CFS Paper

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by alex3619, Oct 5, 2011.

1. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Increased IgA responses to the LPS of commensal bacteria is associated with inflammation and activation of cell-mediated immunity in chronic fatigue syndrome
    Michael Maes, Frank N.M. Twisk, Marta Kubera, Karl Ringel, Jean-Claude Leunis, Michel Geffard

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0165032711005362

Abstract

Background
    Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) is accompanied by a) systemic IgA/IgM responses against the lipopolysaccharides (LPS) of commensal bacteria; b) inflammation, e.g. increased plasma interleukin-(IL)1 and tumor necrosis factor (TNF)?; and c) activation of cell-mediated immunity (CMI), as demonstrated by increased neopterin.

Methods
    To study the relationships between the IgA/IgM responses to the LPS of microbiota, inflammation, CMI and the symptoms of ME/CFS we measured the IgA/IgM responses to the LPS of 6 different enterobacteria, serum IL-1, TNF?, neopterin, and elastase in 128 patients with ME/CFS and chronic fatigue (CF). Severity of symptoms was assessed by the Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (FF) Rating Scale.

Results
    Serum IL-1, TNF?, neopterin and elastase are significantly higher in patients with ME/CFS than in CF patients. There are significant and positive associations between the IgA responses to LPS and serum IL-1, TNF?, neopterin and elastase. Patients with an abnormally high IgA response show increased serum IL-1, TNF? and neopterin levels, and higher ratings on irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) than subjects with a normal IgA response. Serum IL-1, TNF? and neopterin are significantly related to fatigue, a flu-like malaise, autonomic symptoms, neurocognitive disorders, sadness and irritability.

Conclusions
    The findings show that increased IgA responses to commensal bacteria in ME/CFS are associated with inflammation and CMI activation, which are associated with symptom severity. It is concluded that increased translocation of commensal bacteria may be responsible for the disease activity in some ME/CFS patients.

Keywords: Chronic fatigue syndrome; Inflammation; Cytokines; Depression; Oxidative stress; Leaky gut
    pamb, anne_likes_red and fla like this.
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

I am writing some material on biomarkers at the moment and came across this paper, just released as an epub. This research is looking more promising all the time, finally we have a paper which links LPS reactions to symptoms and severity of symptoms for biomarkers that are potentially causal. I can't say more because I have not read the paper. I would really like to. I am aware of earlier papers and an unpublished paper due out soon on a similar theme. Bye, Alex
  3. Glynis Steele

Glynis Steele Senior Member

Newcastle upon Tyne UK
    Alex,

Do you know anything about the D-Lactic bacteria study, I'd heard that it was due out in September?

Glynis x
  4. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Thanks Alex -it is good to see more of this "jigsaw" findings coming out.
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Hi Glynis, no unfortunately. It should be interesting when it comes out.

The Maes paper proposes that bacteria cross the gut wall but I doubt this. LPS itself is much smaller and I think its just bacterial breakdown products that are getting through - but I could be wrong of course. Bye, Alex
  6. justinreilly

justinreilly Stop the IoM & P2P! Adopt CCC!

NYC (& RI)
    Too bad it's in the Journal of Affective Disorders, but at least it got published.
  7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Hi justinreilly, on the other hand it could be the perfect location to counter the psychobabble. Psychiatrists will read it there. Bye, Alex
    anne_likes_red and WillowJ like this.
  8. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    it also differentiates ME/CFS from CF, which seems important as well
  9. RustyJ

RustyJ Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'

Brisbane, Aust
    Refreshingly so.
  10. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    Hi Alex,

Is this the same ? I was interested in why we had antibodies to bacteria and this explains it, right ?

Elevated Systemic Antibodies towards Commensal Gut Microbiota in Autoinflammatory Condition

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0003172

tc ... x
  11. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Hi xchocoholic, I have still to read all this paper so I may have something to say later. (I am working on another project and my science reading is confined to that mostly until it is done in a day or five.) FMF involves elevation of IgG, whereas CFS (ME?) has a subset with elevated IgA. This is a different antibody response, but probably results in the same symptoms - including transient fevers. Bye, Alex

See more popular forum discussions.