• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New Maes LPS CFS Paper

alex3619

Increased IgA responses to the LPS of commensal bacteria is associated with inflammation and activation of cell-mediated immunity in chronic fatigue syndrome
Michael Maes, Frank N.M. Twisk, Marta Kubera, Karl Ringel, Jean-Claude Leunis, Michel Geffard

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0165032711005362

Abstract

Background
Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) is accompanied by a) systemic IgA/IgM responses against the lipopolysaccharides (LPS) of commensal bacteria; b) inflammation, e.g. increased plasma interleukin-(IL)1 and tumor necrosis factor (TNF)?; and c) activation of cell-mediated immunity (CMI), as demonstrated by increased neopterin.

Methods
To study the relationships between the IgA/IgM responses to the LPS of microbiota, inflammation, CMI and the symptoms of ME/CFS we measured the IgA/IgM responses to the LPS of 6 different enterobacteria, serum IL-1, TNF?, neopterin, and elastase in 128 patients with ME/CFS and chronic fatigue (CF). Severity of symptoms was assessed by the Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (FF) Rating Scale.

Results
Serum IL-1, TNF?, neopterin and elastase are significantly higher in patients with ME/CFS than in CF patients. There are significant and positive associations between the IgA responses to LPS and serum IL-1, TNF?, neopterin and elastase. Patients with an abnormally high IgA response show increased serum IL-1, TNF? and neopterin levels, and higher ratings on irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) than subjects with a normal IgA response. Serum IL-1, TNF? and neopterin are significantly related to fatigue, a flu-like malaise, autonomic symptoms, neurocognitive disorders, sadness and irritability.

Conclusions
The findings show that increased IgA responses to commensal bacteria in ME/CFS are associated with inflammation and CMI activation, which are associated with symptom severity. It is concluded that increased translocation of commensal bacteria may be responsible for the disease activity in some ME/CFS patients.

Keywords: Chronic fatigue syndrome; Inflammation; Cytokines; Depression; Oxidative stress; Leaky gut

alex3619

I am writing some material on biomarkers at the moment and came across this paper, just released as an epub. This research is looking more promising all the time, finally we have a paper which links LPS reactions to symptoms and severity of symptoms for biomarkers that are potentially causal. I can't say more because I have not read the paper. I would really like to. I am aware of earlier papers and an unpublished paper due out soon on a similar theme. Bye, Alex

Enid

Thanks Alex -it is good to see more of this "jigsaw" findings coming out.

alex3619

Alex,

Do you know anything about the D-Lactic bacteria study, I'd heard that it was due out in September?

Glynis x

Hi Glynis, no unfortunately. It should be interesting when it comes out.

The Maes paper proposes that bacteria cross the gut wall but I doubt this. LPS itself is much smaller and I think its just bacterial breakdown products that are getting through - but I could be wrong of course. Bye, Alex

xchocoholic

Hi Alex,

Is this the same ? I was interested in why we had antibodies to bacteria and this explains it, right ?

Elevated Systemic Antibodies towards Commensal Gut Microbiota in Autoinflammatory Condition

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0003172

Conclusions/Significance

This autoinflammatory syndrome is characterized by the increased systemic reactivity against commensal gut microbiota. This is probably the consequence of hypersensitivity of the inflammasome in FMF that triggers the inflammation and contributes to the excessive translocation of bacteria and bacterial antigens through the gut barrier.

tc ... x

alex3619

Hi Alex,

Is this the same ? I was interested in why we had antibodies to bacteria and this explains it, right ?

Elevated Systemic Antibodies towards Commensal Gut Microbiota in Autoinflammatory Condition

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0003172

tc ... x

Hi xchocoholic, I have still to read all this paper so I may have something to say later. (I am working on another project and my science reading is confined to that mostly until it is done in a day or five.) FMF involves elevation of IgG, whereas CFS (ME?) has a subset with elevated IgA. This is a different antibody response, but probably results in the same symptoms - including transient fevers. Bye, Alex