Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

new Maes article about autoimmunity in ME

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by msf, Feb 8, 2015.

1. msf

msf Senior Member

ahmo and L'engle like this.
  2. msf

msf Senior Member

3. OverTheHills

OverTheHills

New Zealand
  4. msf

msf Senior Member

Sorry, just go to Pubmed and search for w maes, it's the first article.

5. msf

msf Senior Member

The first article basically claims that anti-oxidants reduce the auto-immune epitopes described in the second one.

L'engle likes this.
  6. msf

msf Senior Member

reduce the number, that is.

7. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    This is really interesting to me. I've been coming to understand and track the role of peroxynitrite, oxidative stress. And I've been having good results using antioxidants, especially reseveratrol.

From the abstract linked above:
    Here's a full length, 2014 paper. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3964747/
    Oxidative and Nitrosative Stress and Immune-Inflammatory Pathways in Patients with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME)/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)

And an interesting related piece about the same mechanism in depression:
    http://www.artdevanyonline.com/1/post/2012/12/depression-first-heal-the-brain.html

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  8. msf

msf Senior Member

Other interesting aspects of oxidative stress are its effects on the mitochondria and also it's role in endothelial dysfunction, both of which are suspected in ME patients.

NK17, justy and CantThink like this.
  9. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

I can't seem to access the full article, but looks from the abstract like an open-label study. Would be nice to see if its still works in a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.

10. msf

msf Senior Member

Yeah, but I think the interesting thing was that a reduction in auto-immune epitopes (apparently) correlated with improvement in symptoms. If true, this suggests that these epitopes are an important element in ME.

Woolie likes this.
  11. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

True, @msf, this is unlikely to be a placebo effect.

12. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Is this the second thread on this?

13. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member

Maryland
    @Jonathan Edwards if you have time I would love to know what you think about the two papers mentioned in this thread, in particular this idea:
    And this:

14. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member

I think we have discussed these papers before. I don't think I could make much of them last time. I worry that the authors do not really have a grasp of the concept of immunological tolerance - which may be why they talk of molecules losing 'immunogenic tolerance', which is not a phrase any immunologist I know would use. (Tolerance is a property of an immune system, not an antigen.) It would be interesting if ME/CFS IgM was found to bind to oxidised molecules more than well matched healthy controls, but if that was found it would be better simply to report that with some substantive data numbers in the abstract rather than waffle on about autoimmunity. (Binding of immunoglobulin to degraded organic molecules is probably quite a normal phenomenon.)

Snow Leopard, aimossy and leokitten like this.

See more popular forum discussions.