Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

NEW IOM Study: "countless patients harmed by wrong diagnoses"

Discussion in 'Institute of Medicine (IOM) Government Contract' started by Mary, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
  2. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.

Toronto, Canada
    Wish I could say I was shocked.
    Their trained that way.

alkt and Mary like this.
  3. JamBob

JamBob Senior Member

I've had quite a few misdiagnoses and I still struggle with how to cope with being misdiagnosed as I think that misdiagnoses can cause all kinds of harms.

On the one hand, I feel very angry but on the other hand I feel like doctors are only human, they make human mistakes and they are badly trained in the first place so it's not really their fault. If I were them, I'd probably make mistakes too.

The most upsetting diagnoses for me arise from sexist or other prejudiced biases that lead doctors to make false assumptions about me as a patient. I don't like it when I am misdiagnosed due to assumptions about my gender - that really pisses me off.

Valentijn likes this.
  4. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    I understand doctors are only human - but - too many don't seem to realize that and get offended if someone questions their judgment. I think the biggest problem we CFS/ME patients encounter (besides ignorance) is a refusal to listen to us. Since we don't fit into a simple diagnostic box, we must be nuts, it's all in our heads and so on. I don't think doctors are trained to listen to patients, and that can lead to sexist and other biases as you say. It's crazy.

jimells likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.