The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

New interdisciplinary center at MIT to focus on the microbiome and human health

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Bob, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    This article from MIT is quite interesting...

MIT and Massachusetts General Hospital are setting up a $25m interdisciplinary centre to investigate diseases related to the microbiome.

Unfortunately, the article does not mention ME/CFS, but it discusses inflammatory bowel disease and "systemic autoimmune diseases" for which it gives examples as "multiple sclerosis, Type 1 diabetes, arthritis, and other disorders, such as autism, obesity, acne, and allergies."

I've quoted some interesting extracts below...

New interdisciplinary center at MIT to focus on the microbiome and human health
    Partnership with MGH, other institutions to foster regional ecosystem for rapidly evolving field.
    November 6, 2014
    http://newsoffice.mit.edu/2014/new-mit-center-microbiome-and-human-health-1106

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
    Simon, SOC and Esther12 like this.
  2. Denise

Denise Senior Member

Very interesting!
    I read this article earlier this week:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/02/opinion/sunday/there-is-no-healthy-microbiome.html

(two quotes)
    "The microbiome is the sum of our experiences throughout our lives: the genes we inherited, the drugs we took, the food we ate, the hands we shook. It is unlikely to yield one-size-fits-all solutions to modern maladies."

"Our microbes are truly part of us, and just as we are vast in our variety, so, too, are they. We must embrace this complexity if we hope to benefit from it."

RL_sparky and Bob like this.

See more popular forum discussions.