Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"new insight into why women are more likely than men to develop autoimmune diseases such as MS"

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Kyla, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Kyla

Kyla ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ

Canada
    http://www.northwestern.edu/newscenter/stories/2015/05/protecting-women-from-multiple-sclerosis.html

Full article in Immunology (open access) here:

http://www.jimmunol.org/content/early/2015/05/13/jimmunol.1500068.full.pdf

leokitten, Valentijn, Sea and 17 others like this.
  2. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    Fascinating, @Kyla! Thanks! :)

-J

3. Ecoclimber

Ecoclimber Senior Member

Good find! I wonder if this could also be extrapolated to ME/CFS realizing that it is not in the same disease category until autoimmunity is validated and the fact that there are no mouse models to my knowledge available. But, I always been intrigued both in MS, Fibro, and ME/CFS why there are more females in ratio to males. I believe 75%/25% ratio in ME/CFS. What is the common thread linking males with the disease and females while making them unique within their own population? Hmmm...

4. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Keeping in mind that this is just an animal model, so the actual implications are unknown; If both of the above extracts are correct then it suggests that some of the the mechanisms behind MS are the opposite of some the mechanisms behind allergy. i.e. Type 2 innate lymphoid cells promote allergy but protect against MS. But I might have misunderstood - I know nothing about the subject. So are people with allergies less likely to develop MS? That would perhaps be the opposite of the situation with ME, whereby allergies and autoimmunity may be more prevalent in people with ME and may run in families of people with ME?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  5. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    I dont think the ratio of men to women is as significant as many believe.

Marco likes this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

The 'MS model' they use involves autoreactive T cells and I am not sure we have evidence for autoreactive T cells in human MS. I tend to be very sceptical about animal models of MS in particular.

Nevertheless, it would make sense for the male/female difference in risk of immune disorders arose from a T cell subset more active in males. I am not so sure how allergy would fit in since I do not think it is more common in males. In terms of human disease I would wonder about CD57+ T cells being relevant. Ankylosing spondylitis is the most male skewed immune disease and probably involves cytotoxic CD8/CD57 cells (hence the MHC I association). CD57 cells are implicated in deleting rogue B cells in follicles so males might be better at weeding out rogue antibody producers. I don't know where c-kit fits in to this though. In general it makes sense for males to be fussier about antibody production - antibodies are not so important to men.

7. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Good point. Reading it again, the article suggests that it's a specific behaviour of type 2 innate lymphoid cells in males that protects against MS ("The researchers think that in males these cells produce a protein that may help to protect from the disease by interfering with the damaging immune response"), rather than e.g. simply the number of cells. It doesn't discuss how the same cells might promote allergies, so it might be via a different mechanism.

8. Marco

Marco Grrrrrrr!

Near Cognac, France
    Good question, and one worth asking in relation to ME/CFS (and why any putative protection breaks down in some cases).

Bob likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.