1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
No Longer Naive in the Ways of The Beast
After having lived for years with ME/CFS, Jody Smith learned there's more to this beast of an illness than she realized, and that what might help one person may not help others ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

New info about MS

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by August59, Jul 20, 2010.

1. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
  2. lono

lono

Very interesting. Thanks for posting.
  3. zoe.a.m.

zoe.a.m. Senior Member

Olympic Peninsula, Washington
    Haven't even read it yet, but I can't say I'm surprised! I am happy that the GUT is making its way into mainstream as I think it's the new "inflammation" (if not the cause of it) in diseases.
    Thanks for posting!

Well, let's hope this finds its way over to ME/CFS researchers and docs...
  4. ixchelkali

ixchelkali Senior Member

Long Beach, CA
    Fascinating. It's interesting how much of the immune system response starts in the gut. I wonder if what they describe (or something similar) might be happening with asthma?

Gotta keep those gut flora flourishing!
  5. anne_likes_red

anne_likes_red Senior Member

Thanks very much August :) . I've forwarded this link onto a friend with MS.

(I'm not surprised about a gut connection there either.)

6. anne_likes_red

anne_likes_red Senior Member

My youngest child was in a probiotic (Lactobacillus rhamnosus) study to see if excema and asthma could be prevented. I took the probiotic from the third trimester of my pregnancy. So far....6 years now...so good.

Good flora cannot be too highly rated! :) :) :)
  7. zoe.a.m.

zoe.a.m. Senior Member

Olympic Peninsula, Washington
    Now this is something! Just like giving expectant moms Vit D, this ought to be considered on a mass scale with a nice longitudinal study. Inexpensive and possibly an excellent way to ward many of our current epidemics. We need studies so that doctors could advise taking them just as they do with prenatal vitamins.
  8. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    Given the autoimmune characteristic of MS, this is not so surprising, at least to me. The interesting bit is if/when they identify specific mechanisms.

No, they'd die since their digestive system would cease functioning correctly. Humans aren't a single organism, they are an ecosystem.

The point isn't to have zero gut bacteria. But rather, only 'healthy' bacteria - those that enable you to live a healthy life.

See more popular forum discussions.